• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny tantrums and naughtiness

Jem_John

Young Bun
Hey everyone, this is pretty much my first post, there is a pic of my bunny Charlie in the Intoductions section and this will probably be the first of millions of questions as Charlie is our first house rabbit, and first rabbit again in years! Shes doing well with her litter training although todays been a bad day for it hehe, but I need some advice and opinions on this; when she chews on something i say a firm "no!" which was working really well at first, shed look a little worried and back off, then id give her a pet and praise her but now when she chews and i say no, she chews it even more or will even try to pick the thing up and throw it, its as if shes just being naughty! also the other thing is that she has a large spacious cage which she really enjoys, shes content and busy all of the time in it, but when i'v have her out roaming the house usually for an hour or two a few times a day, i put her back into her cage she has a massive tantrum and charges around digging stuff up, throwing things, chewing the bars and running back and forward, she settles down after around half an hour but i feel bad and im worried this all means that she could become really naughty if im not careful.....what do you think? Shes 7 months and has not been spayed yet, would that help?

jem
xxx

um by giving her a treat when she's chewed something that she shouldn't (even if she backs off) you are re-inforcing the norty behaviour. She will chew so you can tell her "no" so she will get the pellet.

you are probably better off with continuing with your firm no then distracting her when she chews with a willow ball or twig. Hopefully she will pick up that she ought to chew the willow ball & not the furniture.

She also needs to have much more space than the cage during the day. The welfare guidelines are roughly that their hutch should be 6ft by 2ft by 6ft with a 6ft by 4ft run & house bunnies shoud have roughly the same space to play in. Giving her much more freedom will help her be much less destructive as will getting her neutered. Having a friend to play with will also help but she will need to be neutered first.

i'm having exactly the same problems with my house bunny I think its just there way of showing off because you have put them back in there cage. My rabbit has started chewing and she scratches the carpet I'm having her neutered on Monday so i'm hoping this will calm her down. :)

Back