• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbits & multiple dogs

maggyottermad

Warren Scout
hi,

some of you may know i have new bunnies, 2 9wk olds.

they are in a lovely hutch in garden, in sheltered spot. but we have 5 gundogs, all very well trained ofcourse.

they have obviously smelt the rabbits prescense and have sniffed the hutch this morning, but im worried that its going to stress my bunnies out...

the dogs arent out alot, just usually 4pm-7pm in week they have free range, and weekend days

does anyone have experience with dogs & rabbits? any tips etc?

thank you, im being a bit over protective as im new to rabbits!

Hi,

My initial rabbit was introduced very slowly through her cage to my parents dog. She now has no fear and even bosses Meg (the dog) around. They play together and sleep next to each other.

They dont even see each other that often but they remember how to behave!

I am not sure if your dogs would hurt your rabbits but from my experience rabbits appear adaptable if done slowly?

The earlier introdutions are done the better in my opinion.

When I got Tila, we were very nervous about my ten year old Foxy, as she is a hunting breed. However we have taught her to never chase other animals (as we also have cats). We introduced her very slowly face to face after they got used to eachother through the bars (they share the yard). You will notice your bunnies may hide at first, but as they grow used to your dogs and their presence, they will venture closer and closer, until eventually they might be brave enough to touch noses through the bars. My guinea-pig was like that with my dogs, but Tila was comfortable with them quite quickly - he's a brave boy.

However, Shandy (the dog) is very maternal, and so by personal nature loved Tila and Ginger from the first instant.

We recently got a foxy puppy as a companion for Shandy. We are still careful with him even after a few months, he has not yet gotten out of the chasing everything stage - he also chases our cats. He does not try to hurt them, but I can imagine being chased is very stressful for a bunny. With him it is just a matter of time until he learns not to chase.

I say just be very careful, never leave them unsupervised if buns are out of their hutch. Even after a year I don't leave Tila alone with my dogs, it can only take him going near their food and they could possibly snap.

Last edited:
I have 4 dogs and my 2 buns. Scottie, my eldest dog (Rough Collie) has always adored the buns - he used to have a little wild rabbit friend who'd hop through a hole in the fence every morning. You could set your clock to it, Scottie would want to go out the same time every day, they'd sit together for an hour or two then bun would hop away and Scot would come in. Rinse and repeat daily, lol.

Lachlan my spaniel has been raised with buns since 10 weeks old so there's never been any problems there and Tysy (Shepy) and Nellie (border collie x jack russell) were introduced slowly and carefully.

Roger and Barney love all the dogs and have no fear of them whatsoever - Roger looked might peed off earlier this evening when the dogs barked at something outside and woke him up! :)

If the buns have a nesting box they should feel safe in there. I wouldn't be concerned about the dogs sniffing - it's natural and once they're used to the buns presence it will stop.

cheers guys, things are already developing... the bunnies are now happy to sit in run bit of hutch whilst the dogs are near, and even whilst the dogs are noisy!

twice now i have fed the rabbits with the door open and had charlie my springer spaniel sitting next me watching it all, he's gonna be the easiest i think to tackle.

Hi!

I have 2 Golden Retrievers and they're very good with pets. My younger one still needs to be supervised as she gets a bit excited when they run or jump around. But i'm confident that she'll turn out as good as my older dog who is a darling with them. I've found that rabbits, especially young ones, are rarely that scared of dogs as long as they behave of course. So i wouldn't really worry about that too much.

The only thing is, you seem to have an actual pack of dogs and as your own experience has probably shown you, packs work differently than a dog on its own and sometimes, more basic instincts can overrule what they've been taught by you. I don't mean to worry you, but I would be careful if they're all out together. I have a friend who breeds Goldies and had a couple of kittens. Individually, the dogs were fantastic with them, sleeping together, grooming them, nursing them almost. And yet, one day, one of the kittens got completely ripped apart by the pack. I know it's awful, but as long as you're around when the bunnies are out with the dogs, you should be absolutely fine. But still, never underestimate instinct...

My experience would say that they'll be fine taken slowly, but never leave them together. The bond will also be different dependant on the rabbit- i had one that was weary of the dog and one that will boss the dog around, and then when we had a new (4 year old lab) she couldn't care less. The GSD, naturally appears to want to heard them rather than harm them (though that has taken time)

So take it slowly and be sensitive to the needs and personalities of both (which I guess you are from what you say about your springer) and they should be fine :D

Back