• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit spay

steph1705

Warren Scout
hi all
i hope this is in the right place lol
my bunny is being spayed on thursday,i have had experience with dogs after ga but what are rabbits like?? how often do vets lose rabbits under ga these days? is it safer than it used to be? thanks

It depends very much on your vet, but good vets do lots of rabbit spays these days so there is nothing really to worry about.

The big difference between rabbits and other animals is that you shouldn't starve rabbits before the operation. They need to keep eating all the time.

Once you get her home keep her inside, but not too warm if she is normally an outdoor bunny. She will be groggy and not very active. If she doesn't like human attention try to leave her be so she doesn't stress out. Try to get her eating as quickly as possible, provide her favourite treats and obviously water. If she isn't eating by 24hrs later then phone your vet for advice.

Also make sure where you keep her she can't do lots of jumping up and down as this can break the stitches.

Hope all go's well :)

thanks :D ill have to get her a indoor hutch. think best place is hallway as its not heated and will be quieter in there.

Hi, Our Maisey (21 weeks) was speyed on Friday, we were advised by the vet to keep her in for 24/48 hours, to keep her warm as they cannot regulate temperature for 24 hours after GA, (she's been in the kitchen in our disinfected guinea pig run on shredded newspaper bedding as anything else can irritate the wound), we tempted her with her favourites but she didn't eat much other than rocket until saturday although she carried on weeing and pooing. Yesterday she was back to her normal hungry self and tonight she is raring to go! We were told no "stairs" (ramps and jumping) at least until wound is checked in 10 days. We'll be getting her back outside tomorrow but keeping her on one level.

I would make sure your rabbit is given pain killers before she comes home, ensure she is warm enough, keep checking the wee and poo production and if none or few are produced and/or she isn't eating the next morning get her back to the vet.

Good luck, hope it all goes well!

You will need to keep an eye on her wound, as many rabbits like to pick.

A dog crate would be ideal :D

She should be given pain killers before she leaves the vets and if she does not eat and poop after coming around from GA they may give her gut stimulant and keep her in overnight. At my vets this is usual in 80% of cases as a precaution.

You will also need to restrict her activity to a minimum for a while, usually on the 10 day check up your vets would give her the all clear in terms of jumping and climbing again. I would keep her in the crate for a day or two and then allow her short run arounds until this 10 day check up.

After her op you may be better putting a bowl in the crate as they dont always fancy moving and stretching up to a bottle.

Keep the bottom of the crate free from hay (will scratch the wound), instead put hay in a hay rack or better still a cereal box with a hole cut in its side for her to pull out what she wants. Vet bed or a fleece would make a good base for the crate.

Rabbit GA and spaying is MUCH safer than it used to be. The risks are still high compared to larger animals but the benefits far outweigh the risks :D

Good luck with the op and look forward to seeing her recovery pics :D

thanks for all your help and advice. i will post some pics soon my camera bat has packed up :( she went for a pre op check today and although a little over weight :oops:everything else is fine.:D

well i dropped her off this morning hope all goes well,im very worried :roll:
i posted some pics yesterday in pics and storys if you fancy a look :D

here she is after op,looks a bit rough bless her. she has drunk,eaten and weed yey yey :D does her cage look ok??? since i took pic i have half covered it to keep her cosy
star001.jpg

Last edited:
I would give her a bowl of water.

I would also put something in there like a box for her to hide in.

A cereal box or similar stuffed with hay should keep her cage clean but still allow her to eat hay.

Is she eating much?

Thanks erm she has a bowl of water,i the corner under her water bottle:) i will get her a box sorted. she is not eating a lot seen her have a little bit. no poo yet tho:?

Looks great (sorry only saw the bottle in the first pic :oops: )

If she doesn't eat much today head down the shop and buy a variety of greens (basil, parsley, kale, broccoli etc) if you have any dandillions wash them and try her with them and you could also try some sweet stuff like banana apple and grapes and a last resort.

Hopefully she'll feel better in a bit.

Did she have the painkiller injected or did you get a bottle of Metacam?

Thanks for your help.dont worry about bowl you couldnt see it ill let you off:lol: hehe she had a painkiller injection got to go back tomorrow for a check up. i will get her some goodies from shop she doesnt appear to be eating:?

Has she been pooping ok?

I would maybe ask for another injection if she hasn't started eating soon as they only last about 24 hours. If she does start eating it may be worth asking them for some Metacam for you to give at home as she's bound to be in pain for a while and it will help reduce inflammation.

If she's not been pooing I'd get her back today for this injection and also get some critical feed to syringe her.

You can try some Organic Veggie baby food first though if the shop is easier :)

:lol: i dont think she will let you being a bit grumpy lol i have just seen her eye is all sticky and snoty :shock: looks sore too

:lol: i dont think she will let you being a bit grumpy lol i have just seen her eye is all sticky and snoty :shock: looks sore too

Just bathe that with some warm water - It's probably because she doesn't feel like washing herself but keep an eye on it :)

Back