• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Help Advice need Bunny has stoped eating

Hello everyone,

I would be very grateful for any help or advice regarding my Bunny,
She lives outside in a big hutch which is covered and protected. She was fine on Tuesday and ate all her food.
Her name is Cleo she was a rescue bunny and we have had her about 2 years
we think she is around 3 and half years.

Wednesday morning she wasn't interested in her breakfast and this is a bunny who gets very excited about breakfast we left her with plenty of hay, water her breakfast. When we came home she hasn’t touched anything.

We took her to the vet who gave her 4 injections gave me some Fibreplast stuff in a surinque to give her 2 mls 3 times a day.
She did drink last night the vet said she has gas. Took her to vet again this morning had another injection.
We have been told to try and encourage her to eat and break down her pellets to get the gut moving.

Any helpful tips on how to get my bunny eating again would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to loose her

you could maybe try giving her some tasty fresh herbs and even a bit of banana and see if that gets her going, at this stage just try to get her to eat anything, even some nice fresh grass. having got much more advice than that but at least your taking her to the vets.

Does your bun get fed pellets? I've read on here that someone gave their bun the dusty stuff left over in the bag mixed with warm water - might be worth a try :D

ive found making alvin run about (very much against his will) gets his gut moving and lots of water too, his fav veg soaking wet waved under his nose sometimes helps... i put loads and loads of fresh hay out and wave it under his nose too until he eats just to get rid of me :oops:...

last time he had a total gut stop tho he had to be hospitalized and put on a drip with about 3 shots of pain killers thro the night... you may need to consider getting your bun admitted if she dont pick up soon :(

hope your little un starts to eat soon xxx

Is the bun pooing?

Syringing cooled peppermint tea (to a nice warm temperature) can help a lot - especially with gas and pain.

Has the bun had pain relief? You didn't mention what the injections were. Just metoclopramide (gut stimulant) on its own won't be enough if the bun is in pain.

Try soaking the pellets in water for about 30 seconds it makes them easy to eat if she is having trouble chewing.

Did the vet put a scope thing in her mouth to check her teeth? If they have grown too much it can be one of the reasons they can't eat.

Sorry to hear you rabbit is poorly, it is such a worry :(

Firstly she needs pain relief, so check that your vet has given her that.
Check to see that she is pooping and what the poop looks like!
If she is gassy then the bubbles need to be broken down, you can sit her on your knee on a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel, or a wheat bag is ideal. Then gently massage her tummy.
Infacol can help but ask your vet first.
Get the vet to check inside her mouth she may have tooth spurs which makes it sore for her to eat.
A rabbit not eating, is a symptom of something else being wrong.

Oxbow Critical care is great for rabbits who are off their food, they seem to love it, also try offering, parsley and mint. Celery leaves are good too :)

I hope she is ok x

Back