• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange lump on Mimi's back (Gristle?)

stampz

Warren Scout
Looking some advice, this may well be nothing as both girls were at the vets last night and he didn’t say anything, but whilst stroking Mimi last night, I felt something on her back, just below her neck.

It feels like a square of what I would describe as gristle, I can feel all around it, and it moves quite freely with my fingers, and she doesn’t seem to be under any distress when I do this. I have checked Lola and she has nothing similar, I can’t post a pic as it is under her skin and you cannot see it.

Bit of a long shot I know…but does anyone have any idea what this is, or whether it is something I should be worrying about?

Looking some advice, this may well be nothing as both girls were at the vets last night and he didn’t say anything, but whilst stroking Mimi last night, I felt something on her back, just below her neck.

It feels like a square of what I would describe as gristle, I can feel all around it, and it moves quite freely with my fingers, and she doesn’t seem to be under any distress when I do this. I have checked Lola and she has nothing similar, I can’t post a pic as it is under her skin and you cannot see it.

Bit of a long shot I know…but does anyone have any idea what this is, or whether it is something I should be worrying about?

It could be some granulation caused by an injection she had when spayed :?
An antibiotic, Baytril, is often the culprit.

If this is the cause it should eventually resolve but the surface skin may first breakdown and form a scab. The full healing process can take a few weeks.

hi

Did the vet feel it? Did you notice it before going to vets?
It may be that it has just appeared and the vet never knew about it but I agree it may be from a needle.
Or we found lump similar on Angel just above shoulder it was quite big so how we never felt it before we were puzzled it moved around etc We did get it checked and she had it removed and sent to lab it was just infected fat? Vet said infected fat is caused by needles, bites anything could have been treat with antibiotics so if you are worried get vet to check.

One of mine had a hard lump under his ear. The vet stuck a needle into it to check that it wasn't caused by an infection. She said it was a calcium growth, which is basically gritty bits of gristle

lump

Hiya

The fact it is freely mobile under the skin is really reassuring. It could be a cyst or a benign lipoma (fatty filled tissue) or like folk were saying a reaction to antibiotic. If it were something nasty, I guess it would be hard, craggy and fixed and your bun would be unwell.

I'd take back to the vet - might put your mind at ease.

The worry these buns cause us...but it's worth it!!:D

Back