• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something is wrong with Martha...advice please

harpo

Warren Scout
When I went to feed Martha earlier she seemed to be laying very still in her hutch and didn't seem able to move, she has since been moving around as normal but keeps laying in her litter tray and she seems uninterested in her food, she was perfectly ok earlier in the day and this has all come on suddenly, she shares her hutch with George and usually she spends ages grooming him but she seems to be trying to spend time alone.

Sorry to hear Martha is not feeling herself tonight. You say she was ok earlier - was she eating then and pooing? Have you tempted her to eat anything now?

just checked on her and she was laying stretched out on her tummy facing away from me, she turned around but refused the piece of apple I had for her, I have a dog crate in the shed - should I bring her and George in for the night so I can observe her more closely? I live in a rural area and we have quite heavy snow at the moment.

Your rabbit needs to see a vet ASAP. Rabbits go downhill really fast. Please try to make an emergency appointment tonight.

Have spoken to on-call vet and they have told me to take her to the surgery, so I'm going there now.

You should keep your bun indoor during this entire time. She can't fight the cold and fight the sickness at the same time. She also can't go in and out all the time, and she can't copw with the temperature changes.

Her room should be warm, like at least 20 deg C. By keeping her indoor, you can observe her bunny poo level

Martha had managed to drink some water from a bowl before going to the vet last night, she was given an injection and had started to eat some hay while we were there, I brought her home and get her indoors in a dog crate i had managed to borrow, overnight she has eaten a small piece of apple and a small piece of celery, we are back to the vet this morning, the vet said that as she is part lionhead and she eats a lot of greens, it could be a hairball causing the blockage.
Her husbun looks very sad on his own but I couldn't keep them together overnight because he kept eating everything I put down for Martha, will this seperation upset their bond?

Martha had managed to drink some water from a bowl before going to the vet last night, she was given an injection and had started to eat some hay while we were there, I brought her home and get her indoors in a dog crate i had managed to borrow, overnight she has eaten a small piece of apple and a small piece of celery, we are back to the vet this morning, the vet said that as she is part lionhead and she eats a lot of greens, it could be a hairball causing the blockage.
Her husbun looks very sad on his own but I couldn't keep them together overnight because he kept eating everything I put down for Martha, will this seperation upset their bond?

It may do but I'd worry about that once Martha is better :)

Do make sure the Vet gives Martha adequate pain relief. A Bun in pain wont eat

Good luck and please keep us updated

Back