• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding/mating

kelly1

Warren Scout
i had my british giant neutered at the end of december,i was hoping to bond im with a rscpa neutered famale i am taking in.Just out of curiosity,i brought my unneutered bun from ourside to put with the giant to gauge an insight into how he would be with nother rabbit,and the result was that he tryed mating with him,where do i got now with thr bonding of the rescue bun im taking in,will he try it with her too.

Humping in a neutered bun is a sign of dominance which all buns will use as a means of sorting out their pecking order. This behaviour should be tolerated and rabbits should not be separated if they do this, they shold be simply allowed to sort out their relationship. Both males and females will both hump each other until they have sorted out their position in the pecking order. You may find that with another rabbit that your male behaves totally differently to another partner, this is perfectly normal and just reflects the way that we as humans behave differently to two people.

I would suggest not putting your neutered male with another unneutered female for another couple of weeks as there is a small chance that he could impregnate her, this could be a particualar problem if she is a smaller breed than him and could result in the need for an emergency section if she did become pregnant.

If I was in your position I woul wait for the arrival of my neutered female and then arrange a suitable time to start bonding ensuring that I am able to fulfil the normal rules of bonding.

Back