• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Our buns are being speyed on Friday

stampz

Warren Scout
Both Lola and Mimi will be going in to get speyed on Friday morning..feeling a little nervous for them, but it is for their best interets.

The vet has told us not to treat them any differently with regards to food etc before the op, they will be going in at 9am Friday and we can collect them mid afternoon.

Is there anything we should do with them when they come home? They are both girls, but I understand we should keep them seperated for a week or so, is this necessary? They are currently very close to each other.

We have a run and an indoor hutch attached, so would plan to keep one of them in the run and one in the hutch, and then change them mid week so they both get a bit of space.

Any advise would be great

Hello

I would not seperate them. They will need each other for moral support :) If they normally life outside then they will need to be indoors (in a non heated room) for at least 24 hours after their GA.

Your Vet should make sure they are both eating and pooing after surgery before discharging them home.

The Buns should have adequate pain relief. This may include some Metacam for you to administer orally for the first few days after surgery.
They need to be kept confined (together) for a week after their spay to make sure they heal well internally. Monitoring their poo production is important after the op'. Small poos or very few poos indicates reduced gut motility. This may result if post op' analgesia is needed but not prescribed. So do make sure your Vet gives you some Metacam incase its needed

The spay wound should be checked twice a day.

Good luck

jane has said everythigng i woudl have dont seperaate them else bonding tehm again will be hard keep them together throughout. also dont have any of those collars like lampshades.. ass they stop buns eating better to leave them if start chewing tehn go for a jumper style to stop them chewing stitches(tho most now are disposable and glue)

the first 24 hours are cruicaila they cant maintain their own temps after a ga so need to be kept indoors and you need to monitor them keep on soft towels or paper bedding not woodchips straw or hay and keep on cage rest for 4 days gradually building up time soutside the cage area as tehy can otherwise pull open the wound or make it sore.. x

Keep them together inside, don't separate them. When archie was neutered i kept him inside ( he's an outdoor bun) for 2 days, its a major operation for the girls so they should be kept in longer if they live outside. He also had a heat pad to keep him warm. Have their favourite foods ready along with their hay, you want them to be eating as soon as possible and have water ready for them in a bowl and a bottle, they'll be very thirsty after the GA and it may be easier to drink from a bowl. Pain relief for them is a must. Soft bedding too like a vetbed or towels. Hope they get on okay :)

Hope all goes well. My two girls were done in November. Agree with everything others have said about eating, pooing etc but don't worry if they are not too bright for a day or so. My two recovered really well but they were quiet at first. Keep a close watch on how they progress but try not to worry too much. I'm sure all will be well.:love:

Back