• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Rabbit

maxi

Young Bun
Hello, I have just bought a beauitful 8 week old buck mini lop which i have called Harry, he is a house rabbit, the breeder said for his litter tray just used wood shavings do you think that is best or do i buy some cat litter thanks:D:wave:

Woodshavings is best avoided because of health problems, and it's also very messy. Wood pellet cat litter is good, as is Carefresh or Megazorb, but you find those messy as they are quite light in weight so get kicked everywhere. Wood pellets are heavy, so don't get kicked out so often. Do not use clumping cat litter.

I use megazorb but you can also use carefresh which is basically cat litter which is safe for rabbits. Normal cat litter is not always safe for rabbits to use.

Hello, I have just bought a beauitful 8 week old buck mini lop which i have called Harry, he is a house rabbit, the breeder said for his litter tray just used wood shavings do you think that is best or do i buy some cat litter thanks:D:wave:

Hi

I line my litte tray with newspaper (so its easy to get the litter out when wet) then i put a layer of fussy puss cat litter which is a wood based one but one of the cheaper ones, then another layer of newspaper then her hay on top. I find this 90% mess free she cant kick the litter out so the only mess id created by the hay but she eats most of that so its very clean.

and i have found it has never smelt either

hope this helps
:D

I put a layer of newspaper and then fill with hay. My house rabbits like to chomp on the hay when they do their business. There is no smell.

I put a layer of newspaper and then fill with hay. My house rabbits like to chomp on the hay when they do their business. There is no smell.

I do this too.

I change trays every day and we have never smelt the rabbits in the house.

I'd definately avoid shavings though as Lionheadluver said - has been linked to liver disease.

thats what i do too..... i found litter a complete waste of money when newspaper does the job just as well :D

Haven't yet perfected this myself and haven't tried newspaper but expect my two does would think it was great fun and would make a hell of a mess digging it up and shredding it. I have used wood based cat litters and also Catolet which you can buy at PAH, Tesco and Sainsbury's. Both are quite good and worth trying.

Me too, I used to use Carefresh but it became expensive. So I have a big cat litter box (for 2 rabs) with 2 newspapers at the bottom then lots of hay so they can have a munch at the same time. It doesn't smell if you change it every 2/3 days.

thats what i do too..... i found litter a complete waste of money when newspaper does the job just as well :D

:no:I use a mix of shavings and megazorb with hay on top. I know I shouldnt use shavings but he won't go on anything else. He has an under the bed box cause he's quite big. Tried putting him on mezazorb but it tipped his tray over then pee'd on the carpet where it normally is :no: I'm slowly upping the proportion of megazorb to shaving in the hope that he won't notice :lol:

Rabbit litter tray

Thanks for all the replys, I went to pets at home and bought a bag of wood pellets litter for Rabbits and small animals, your right they dont smell, harry has started to used his litter tray, hes a very clever boy ! thanks again best wishes maxi :D:wave:

Thanks for all the replys, I went to pets at home and bought a bag of wood pellets litter for Rabbits and small animals, your right they dont smell, harry has started to used his litter tray, hes a very clever boy ! thanks again best wishes maxi :D:wave:

This is what I used to use, but if you go over to the cat litter section, there is something almost identical, but a bigger bag for cheaper :) Its in a white bag with green writing, and if you look on the back, it says "also suitable for rabbits, guinea pigs etc" the only difference is that the wood pellets are a bit smaller!

This is what I used to use, but if you go over to the cat litter section, there is something almost identical, but a bigger bag for cheaper :) Its in a white bag with green writing, and if you look on the back, it says "also suitable for rabbits, guinea pigs etc" the only difference is that the wood pellets are a bit smaller!

I discovered this the other day in my pets @ home! Couldnt believe they would sell the same product for much more in the rabbit section!!!

Back