• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming my Newly Spayed Rabbit

GabrielleB

Warren Scout
Hello,
I just had my rabbit spayed yesterday and picked up some rabbit wormer today, so I was wondering, should I wait until she's healed to worm her, or is ok to worm her now? (the wormer is a .56 ml dose once a day for 5 days)
Thanks for any help

:)

Unless she has some symptoms that make you think she has EC I would leave it a couple weeks although I don't think it would cause any problems she is likely to be feeling fragile and trying to force a syringe into her mouth won't make her happy :)

Leave her for bit. It may be too stressful. Winnie had been to vets for vacc and I then put rearguard on botty. He was ill next day sneezing etc it was stress. Even though he didnt seem bothered at time.

Leave her for bit. It may be too stressful. Winnie had been to vets for vacc and I then put rearguard on botty. He was ill next day sneezing etc it was stress. Even though he didnt seem bothered at time.

Thanks for your help :D and same to timb0h :) I will wait until shes all healed up to do it :)

Also....does anyone know any tricks to get them to take the medication (its liquid) When my male rabbit was on antibiotics, I mixed them with Ribena (on the vets advice) and he took them perfectly, could I do that with the wormer as well? or is there something else I can mix it with? or should I just try to get it in as quick as possible? (want to avoid this incase they stress!!)

:)

I would use a syringe. Hold the rabbit still, preferably with a hand over the back of the neck so they know they are secure. Then slip the syringe into the side of the mouth (so you don't have to worry about teeth) and squeeze the desired amount in. It's easier as a two man job but it can be done on your own.

Giving meds/wormer by syringe.

Hi, one of our old rabbits Daisy was on longterm daily antibiotics and steroids so we became accustomed to giving meds by syringe. I would put her on a towel on the kitchen table in front of me with her bottom to my tummy, settling her down with some stroking, then with the loaded syringe in my right hand I would put my left hand over her head, lift her right top lip with my thumb, insert the syringe tip between her teeth and on top of her tounge, and slowly depress the plunger. They tend to swallow what is in their mouths rather than spit it out like a cat or dog but somtimes, when it was a large dose, I would do it in a couple of goes to give her time to swallow it. The steroid was a tablet which I had to crush and mix with baby rice made up with water before syringing! Hope this doesn't sound too "idiot proof" but I know I hadn't a clue when I first tried it so hope this helps! Daisy was a rather fiesty Black Rex and I would often declare it was easier to give my horse a wormer (and he was bad!) than give her meds in the beginning!!

Do you think if I started giving water/diluted ribena every so often to get them used to the syringe it would make it easier? or do rabbits not learn that way? :)

Back