• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Megazorb

Tempest

Warren Scout
Would anyone recommend the use of megazorb in hutches as opposed to wood shavings?

Recently my local pet shops wood shavings have had a faint scent of pine, which I paid no attention to, as it was so faint I hardly noticed untill I got the latest bag that smells really strongly of it. I know it's bad for her, but I don't have anything else to use right now. Rowan has a large hutch (Thistle Hall) so I need to find a new bedding to use thats also cost effective as I like to give her a comfortable layer and her litter tray use as always been more miss than hit ;)

I've heard good things about megazorb, but I've also heard it can cause blockages if it's ingested, I don't want to risk that. Does anyone have any insights or views that could help me decide?

I've been using it for ages without a problem. I would try some but monitor them to make sure they are not eating it to make yourself comfortable with it.

Tinkerbell loves eating newspaper but has not eaten the Megazorb at all!

Plus it is sooooo cheap, I pay £5.65 for 85 litres which is a massive bag :D

I used to use it, and never had a problem with the buns eating it. I only stopping using it because I moved house and haven't found anywhere convenient to buy it yet. I found it really economical and very absorbent. Actually, reading this thread has reminded me to have another look and try and find a local supplier :)

Hayley

Hey everyone,

Can you suggest where I can get Megazorb from and if it is also suitable for Piggies. I only bed my outdoor bun on shavings and place a little in the base of the indoor rabbits cages which are used for slepping. However I don't really like it and was interested in Megazorb but never really understood what it was or where t came from.

Also I'm a bit silly so how many KG's approxis 85 litres.

Thanks

I used to use it, and never had a problem with the buns eating it. I only stopping using it because I moved house and haven't found anywhere convenient to buy it yet. I found it really economical and very absorbent. Actually, reading this thread has reminded me to have another look and try and find a local supplier :)

Hayley

the Hay Experts sell it online.:D

Megazorb is far better than wood shavings. It is also compostable.

I would not recommend wood shavings as rabbits do breath it in when they are searching through it. There have been a number of instances where rabbits on post mortem have been found to have lots of particles of wood shavings embedded in their lungs and this has contributed to them having respiratory conditions.

Megazorb is far better than wood shavings. It is also compostable.

I would not recommend wood shavings as rabbits do breath it in when they are searching through it. There have been a number of instances where rabbits on post mortem have been found to have lots of particles of wood shavings embedded in their lungs and this has contributed to them having respiratory conditions.

I must say I thought this was the case and I know piggies can be sensitive too it. I willnow try and get intouch wth a good supplier and I don't want to be the reason for a poorly piggie or rabbit.

I recently switched to megazorb from crefresh and its much cheaper and better for the bunnies and there is no smell at all from it even after it has been used!

Wowsers, what this about sawdust or wood chippings being in bunnies lungs?I use Fussy Puss which is wood pellets, highly compacted and not very dusty at all but there may be some dust nevertheless, do I need to worry. The rabbits dont really snuffle through it as its only in their litter trays.

All animals and not just rabbits who live on a surface of wood chippings are at risk of breathing in small particles of wood which gets embedded into their lungs. Many will not show signs of any problems, others will develope a nasal discharge whist others go on to develope more serious problems. This also applies to rabbits who have sawdust under their hay / bedding as it is part of normal behaviour to go looking for bits to eat.

Over the years ARC have taken in many rabbits who have had respiratory symtoms who have been bedded on shavings and whose symptoms have improved when their bedding has been changed.

There is another problem with wood shavings in that it contains phenols, phenols when mixed with urine can cause oral and respiratory tract burns in rabbits and also result in liver damage. There are many articles on the internet if you wish to google them including http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html Hard woods used for bedding are a better option.

If you are having trouble finding Megazorb try local suppliers of horse feed and bedding. Megazorb was intended for horse bedding and a lot of the stockists are not listed on the Northern Cropdryers website.

Back