• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not taking medicine

gmitbites88

Young Bun
Misty was at the vet yesterday for another jag, VHT I think it was called. Anyhoo the vet was a bit lame and she answered all of my questions about Misty with a "OH REALLY?" and did'nt give us too much info. I told her that Misty was giving sort of little rapid head nods almost as if she was nodding really fast. She only does this once in a while. So we got an "OH REALLY" then she asked if she'd been wormed, we said no so she gave us this paste, PANACUR, the vet gave the first dose but it ended up all over Misty. We asked if we could give her the dose on a piece of carrot or whatever and she said yes as long as it ended up in her mouth. So we tried and failed doing this today 'cos Misty must have smelled it. We also tried holding her and giving her it that way but she would turn her head away. Any help/ideas please????

The jab is VHD. :wave:

Misty isn't a white rabbit by any chance is she?

I personally give Panacur directly into the mouth by inserting the syringe in the gap between the incisors and the molars and directing it across the tongue (not down the back towards the throat). It may help to wrap her in a towel in order to keep her still.....gently pinning her ears to the scruff of her neck can control head movement and stop her turning away from the syringe, but you will probably need an extra pair of hands.

Alternatively a lot of rabbits will eat the paste wrapped up in a spring green leaf or smeared on a piece of banana, apple or carrot.

The jab would have been VHD (Viral Haemorrhagic Disease) and, just in case your vet didnt explain, Misty will need it every year. It's a very nasty disease that develops very quickly and rabbits die.

Muppet loathes being syringed which probably wasnt helped by my beginner's technique and the syringe being a bit too large for the gap in the incisors (which I didnt know about but found by accident).

My best method was a banana sandwich - two very thin slices of banana with the paste sandwiched between. Try anything your rabbit particularly loves, though in my experience getting paste to stick on anything (except my hands) was a nightmare!

will try the bannana approach tomorrow, my only worry is that we've only just got the hang of picking her up, so if we pick her up (if the bannana approach fails) then every time we go to pick her up she'll panic 'cos she'll think she's getting a syringe in her gob!? This is a 9 day course this wormer, wish us luck!

Could you maybe get on the floor with her and hold her if the banana doesn't work? That way she won't associate being picked up with the syringe. You could also give her a treat and lots of fuss after having her medication, that should make it more pleasant for her :)

Oh yeah Sooz, Misty is white.

Has she red eyes?

I think her head movement is actually to do with her eyesight, REWs (Red Eyed Whites) have notoriously poor vision and whilst most do a head manouver called 'scanning' where the head moves slowly side to side, others use a up and down (or nodding) motion known as 'tracking'. This allows them to focus on objects better and to judge distances more accurately.

Read here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94117&highlight=side+head+movement

Back