• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about bunny hocks. :(

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I had my Hazel/Bella pair hopping about in the kitchen today, and that always makes Hazel quite happy and she does a lot of bunny flops... Anyway, she flopped full length in the large litter tray, with her feet stuck out behind her and the fur looked slightly matted. So when it came to returning them to their hutch, my mum held her whilst I had a look. The hock on that foot is a mid- to dark pink shade, and I'm not sure but I think there's a small scab? It looks like it's almost healed, but it got me wondering if the matted fur was due to it bleeding slightly.

The other hock is the same shade, and has like hardened skin over it, as if it will peel off? I don't know how to describe it. She didn't flinch when I was looking, or seem at all bothered at me trying to bathe the first one to see if it was something stuck TO the hock, instead of a scab. But bunnies hide pain. :(

She's showing no actual signs of discomfort when moving around, or any sign of ill health. I intend to keep a close eye on her, but I'm just a little confused by it all.

Hi my thumper developed hocks with scabs and I kept checking as they weren't healing completely. Then of was later when I saw her laid out full stretch with her legs behind her and my other rabbit bam went up to her and chewed the scab. So you will probably find that is the case. If it is blood it would be quite dark in colour. It does need to heal just get a bit of damp cotton wool to rub gently and you will see if it's old blood. I suspect it's being nibbled. Keep an eye on them as you may need to put a bit of antiseptic cream to ensure it keeps clean. I used a tiny bit of savalon just to assist in healing and keeping clean.

Back