• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've Just Had To Split Up A Fight!

CHH

Warren Scout
We have 3 rabbits. Smudge is a neutered male and he's nearly 7. Sooty and Sophie are female, nearly 6 months old and they were speyed a week ago yesterday. Those two are sisters. We've never had any problems with any of them and they all live together quite happily.

Sooty and Sophie had a bit of a squabble over a piece of broccoli and I pulled them apart. I thought it might just be bad tempers because one of them was having their food pinched. However, within a couple of mins they were at it again big time. Fur everywhere!!

Sooty seems to be the aggressor. Sophie is in the house with me now and Sooty is in the garden with Smudge and there's no problem.

Where do we go from here? We're not going to have to keep them apart forever are we??

Thankfully I was in at the time. If they were locked in their hutch when it all kicked off they could have been fighting all day :(

2 hours later they're the best of pals again!.....

DSCF4554%20(Small).JPG

They're being watched closely though and won't be left together when no-one's around for a wee while.

Aww, it just sounds as if you got them speyed as their hormones were coming out :roll: Hopefully it wont be long til it all dies down.

Doesn't look like you'll have any further problems from that picture - Butter wouldn't melt eh? :lol:

It's probably hormone related I agree, although looking at that photo it's hard to believe they were fighting earlier. :lol::lol::lol:

Bubbles was quite out of character after her spay and it caused a few scuffles between her and Alfie, mainly because he was confused I think and didn't know why she wouldn't groom him. :roll::lol: They were back to normal after a couple of weeks and are closer now than ever. :) Good luck with your gorgeous bunnies. :D

Sadly my 2 sisters started off like that after they were spayed but they just got worse and resulting in torn ears so i had to split my 2 up so 1s a house bun and the other is being bonded with a new husbun at the moment :)

I kept them apart last night. They all sleep in the conservatory in winter but Sooty was locked in the hutch.

Within a few minutes of getting out this morning Sophie has tried to hump Sooty. What's all that about?

There will be no-one in all day so they'll all be indoors again but this time Sophie gets locked in!!

They're absolutely fine just now. The three of them are in the garden picking their way through the snow. I'm still hopeful it'll all blow over once the hormones have settled down!

Are they just trying to work out between themselves who's the boss?

Wouldnt keep removing them (seperating) cause more troubles??

Mine have had fur pulling scraps but as long as thats all it is ive been advised to leave them.

Maybe it could be hormones. Ive not experienced this with Dreama so not experienced as to say lol.

They looks so innocent aswell :roll::lol:

:love:

My two new bonds had a couple of nasty fights over food I simply chopped it or shredded it all up into smaller pieces & scattered it all around their cage which meant as soon as it was found it could be waten quickly. We've had no more fights since, I have to agree with Hopper its not qise to keep separating them as it disrupts the bonnd & then all buns have to re-establish themselves again

I kept them apart last night. They all sleep in the conservatory in winter but Sooty was locked in the hutch.

Within a few minutes of getting out this morning Sophie has tried to hump Sooty. What's all that about?

There will be no-one in all day so they'll all be indoors again but this time Sophie gets locked in!!

They're absolutely fine just now. The three of them are in the garden picking their way through the snow. I'm still hopeful it'll all blow over once the hormones have settled down!

Are they just trying to work out between themselves who's the boss?

i woudlnt lock one in then the other as they then have to reestablish bonds and so wil lhump chase and nip all over again im afraid you are best of keeping all the buns together until it al dies down(unless serious injury occours) x

My 2 sisters fought pre-spay. I did get them back together again in a big group several months later;)

the picture of your 3 bunnies in the snow are beautiful! You should take that picture and blow it up, to hang from a wall! I would, but my bunny doesnt keep still! :lol:

The three of them spent last night loose in the conservatory as normal and all went well. This morning in the garden, after they'd finished their carrot, all hell broke loose again.

I picked up Sooty to separate them and ended up with both of them as one of them had their teeth sunk in so far I couldn't get them apart! Sophie ended up falling to the ground once they let go of each other.

They were kept apart again this morning while I was out but they're all together again just now, in the lounge with me, and you wouldn't know there was a problem! (When I say kept apart, what I mean by that is in the same room but one is locked in the hutch).

I popped into the shop we bought them from and she suggested rubbing pee'd on sawdust from the litter tray onto them. It's certainly noticeable that their fights starts with a quick sniffing session before battle commences!

Bloomin rabbits
grrr.gif

I got them together again last night for the first time in a couple of days. After the girlies traded a few dirty looks they settled down and all had a nap in their favourite box.......

DSCF4609%20(Small).JPG

The lid was open so that I could get in and split them up if needed!

They're currently all locked in the lower level of their indoor hutch and all seems well for now. Fingers crossed!

They're in the lounge again just now and Sooty is being noticeably more submissive to Sophie.

I'm not convinced we're out of the woods yet but it looks like the pecking order might be just about worked out!

Things have been fine in the lounge and in the conservatory but as soon as I let them back into the garden again today they were bouncing off each other and squaring up.

Do I need to re-introduce them into the garden by only giving them a small area first and then working up?

My two girls (sisters) had a big fight earlier this spring. I didn't separate them but I brought them indoors 'off territory' and slept in the kitchen with them for a couple of nights until I was sure they were OK. Then I tentatively put them back in the shed but kept them in the shed and didn't give them access to the run. I think keeping them in a smaller space whilst they sort themselves out is a good idea. I've found that immediately giving a large space seems to guarantee that it'll all kick off again as they try to re-establish a pecking order. My girls have been fine since their big fight but I'm ready for it again next spring!

I've put fencing up that gives them a small piece of garden between the conservatory where they sleep at night in the winter and their outside hutch. They've been fine in there today.

I'll slowly extend it over the next week or so until they have the whole garden again.

Slowly reintroducing them to each other and then the garden seems to be working.

Back