• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent..savage bite wound help!

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
omg ive just ogne downstairs to find bertie sitting in a litter tray with blood all over his fur by his eye..i then saw bif by the patio doors.shed escaped at some point form the hutch run.....this in my lounge btw. at fist i thought hed lost his eye. i gave him some treats whilst i got warm previously boiled water with a bit of salt and bathed it but he wouldnt let me...i couldnt see the bottom of the injury but he had clot of blood on his eye area.its in front and bototm of his eye area..the pinky bit in frenchies or rew buns. i then found a few spots of blood on my floor in the lounge doorway!! its not bleding now but it has been till recently as when wiped it off the blood was still red and it is on his fur.

what do i do....i want to rush him to vets but hes still recovering and i dont want to add to the stress of his injury..i can bathe it and put sudocrem on it until ican get to our local vets monday morn..the travel to shedfield is much longer and ive no cash for the taxi but could stop at atm.but im more worried bout making him worse with his eating probs etc..ellen said no vetvisits unless emergency...he was happy to eta treats and let me rub his nose..

how worried shuld i be..ive never ahd this tye of wound in a bunny..only flesh wounds on neck etc when bonding and bif and willow were at it one night when willow escaped and i thought it was bif n bertie having a spat cos they did then shes so bossy..but it was actually bif atacking willow whow as still pretty young back then,

help!!

omg ive just ogne downstairs to find bertie sitting in a litter tray with blood all over his fur by his eye..i then saw bif by the patio doors.shed escaped at some point form the hutch run.....this in my lounge btw. at fist i thought hed lost his eye. i gave him some treats whilst i got warm previously boiled water with a bit of salt and bathed it but he wouldnt let me...i couldnt see the bottom of the injury but he had clot of blood on his eye area.its in front and bototm of his eye area..the pinky bit in frenchies or rew buns. i then found a few spots of blood on my floor in the lounge doorway!! its not bleding now but it has been till recently as when wiped it off the blood was still red and it is on his fur.

what do i do....i want to rush him to vets but hes still recovering and i dont want to add to the stress of his injury..i can bathe it and put sudocrem on it until ican get to our local vets monday morn..the travel to shedfield is much longer and ive no cash for the taxi but could stop at atm.but im more worried bout making him worse with his eating probs etc..ellen said no vetvisits unless emergency...he was happy to eta treats and let me rub his nose..

how worried shuld i be..ive never ahd this tye of wound in a bunny..only flesh wounds on neck etc when bonding and bif and willow were at it one night when willow escaped and i thought it was bif n bertie having a spat cos they did then shes so bossy..but it was actually bif atacking willow whow as still pretty young back then,

help!!

He needs to be seen by a Vet today. Eye injuries can be serious leading to ulcerated corneas and nasty infections. A bite wound that is deep may mean he also needs abx cover as bite wounds easily abscessate

Good luck :)

He needs to be seen by a Vet today. Eye injuries can be serious leading to ulcerated corneas and nasty infections. A bite wound that is deep may mean he also needs abx cover as bite wounds easily abscessate

Good luck :)

I agree. Please take him to see a vet urgently.

i would take him to the vet or at least let the vet prescribe some antibiotics so you can go get some to give him i do think with eye issues the vet needs to check it out in case it needs stitches or in case there are more complicated probs as jane said x

:wave: i rang the vet as soon as id logged off after posting..had to wait ages for taxi..the ride over and the fact they were doing emergency op etc..and home again..didnt get home till after 6pm:shock::shock: soaked with rian form taxi to door and frozen solid as vets had air con on no heating:shock:

anyhoo the vet said he would have needed sutures if it had been where it seemed to have been..but it was actually thru his outer eyelid and flesh so not possible to suture:( she gave him antbx jab..yes MORE baytril to have at home to stop poss abscess etc and a painkiller jab.

hes very withrdawn but allowed nikki to hug him for a longish while on the settee and let me stroke him after hed home a few hours. weird thing is there is NO fur ripped out form him or Bif..she must have been asleep with him in the litter tray and suddenly bit him or sneaked up on him fast asleep and bit him:shock:

i did ask the vet if i oculd have elective surgery to have her inscisors removed :lol::lol: luckily she realsied i was only joking..and we all said if her jaw hadnt been misaligned shes have caused a much worse injury:shock:

shes not fazed at all..not a hair out of place..not and injury anywhere. poor bandit didnt leave the confines of the pen he was still shaking in his shoes when i found bif...he will chase ebrie and nip him slightly on the bum if bertie sues their hutch litter tray or overflops the pen one but he never actually goes off to hurt him..hes run to him several times when a noise outside has scared him and bertie has hugged him:shock:

its bif..would she be one of thise buns returend several times to a rescue as shes wayyy too agressive bonding with other buns?

hey gem...want her now:lol::lol:

thank you all for the advice..i cant bear to look at him..hes still bloodstained..stained from the antiseptic washa nd the vet clipped all his fur off..hes a mess bless him..loks like a bunny horror movie star! i feel so sad for him..just got him ok..then this:(

anyone got a bunny muzzle;):lol:

Awww, poor Bertie. He's not having a great time lately, poor bunny. :( I was was just reading your other thread about how he was perking up and then saw your link to this thread. :( Hope he's doing as well as can be expected. :love:

:wave: thank you..yes hes had a rough old time..we all have and nearly losing him was the final straw.

now this..poor old fella. but its odd weve actually managed to see the real bertie..we got him and after a descision to keep him we started bonding him and bif..then later into the three then the four...then he was a pair after the four unbonded and he was with willow.

we knew he was soppy and affectionate but wed never really had him to ourselves..now we have and he really is a daft snuggly old duffer with a hint of frenchie attitude of course;)

hes my puffalump:lol:

i am hoping hell come through this soon and really well.....:wave:

Back