• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why are they STILL doing this!?

PrincessPeaches24

Warren Scout
hi all!

we have had our 3 holland lop does for almost one year, and they are STILL not using the litter boxes! they also are constantly mounting eachother, (but not fighting)

its really taking the fun out of them... we spend more time cleaning than cuddling!

the funny thing is, when they are out of the cage, its fairly clean? :?

any ideas?

Are they speyed?
If not this would stop them mounting for a lot of the time
Also how much space do they have?
3 young bunnies will need quite a bit and if cramped can encourage them to constantly try to prove their dominance...such as mounting and marking their territory

Last edited:
no, they are not spayed, but we are looking into it. would they all need to be spayed at the same time?
is there anything we can do in the mean time?

The cage is 4 feet high (with 3 levels to play on) 5 feet long and 3 feet wide.
they also have an entire room that they get to play in for a few hours a day, as well as we bring them upstairs to play for a few hours.
is this enough room?

no, they are not spayed, but we are looking into it. would they all need to be spayed at the same time?
is there anything we can do in the mean time?

The cage is 4 feet high (with 3 levels to play on) 5 feet long and 3 feet wide.
they also have an entire room that they get to play in for a few hours a day, as well as we bring them upstairs to play for a few hours.
is this enough room?

spaying will stop them faling out at a later date(ie fighting) and will likely stop the mounting it would take up to a month for hormones to settle and would imprvoe the chances of having tehm litter trained... it would also stop them gettting uterine cacner...85 % of females get this and die trust me its horrible and i believe all female rabbits should be speyed.. when you do get them in for their ops(between £50-£110 per bun per op dependant on vets..mine charge £65) they will need to all go together and stay togehter before and after to stop the chacnes of tehm unbonding happening if they dont stay together then you will need to rebond them after and sometimes this can casue a lot more trouble than people realise as it must then be done on neutral territory.
for 3 buns i would say if the hutch is never shut then its big enough space... but if the hutch is shut then ideally the levels need to be higher at least 2ft height in each level not really sure its enough space for 3 buns i guess it depends on their size really, for a pair of medium buns as a rough guide rspca recommends that you have a 6d3x2ft hutch attatched to a 6x6ft run as a minimum. i think as long as you leave the hutch open to the room then the space is fine as a base once their litter trianing is sorted prehaps they could have freee range of the house? if wires were bunny proofed of course as buns love to have space the more the better! :)

It's deffinately a territorial thing.
I've bonded my girl bunny twice now and each time she stops using her tray.

Rabbits love to eat and poo aswell so I make their littertrays up with a layer of newspaper on the bottom, small meadow hay, readie grass, back to nature recycled litter, a couple of pinches of plantain and a very small pinch of alfalfa and echinacea.
It's like making them dinner every two days but they spend loads of time in them eating and pooing.

spaying will stop them faling out at a later date(ie fighting) and will likely stop the mounting it would take up to a month for hormones to settle and would imprvoe the chances of having tehm litter trained... it would also stop them gettting uterine cacner...85 % of females get this and die trust me its horrible and i believe all female rabbits should be speyed.. when you do get them in for their ops(between £50-£110 per bun per op dependant on vets..mine charge £65) they will need to all go together and stay togehter before and after to stop the chacnes of tehm unbonding happening if they dont stay together then you will need to rebond them after and sometimes this can casue a lot more trouble than people realise as it must then be done on neutral territory.
for 3 buns i would say if the hutch is never shut then its big enough space... but if the hutch is shut then ideally the levels need to be higher at least 2ft height in each level not really sure its enough space for 3 buns i guess it depends on their size really, for a pair of medium buns as a rough guide rspca recommends that you have a 6d3x2ft hutch attatched to a 6x6ft run as a minimum. i think as long as you leave the hutch open to the room then the space is fine as a base once their litter trianing is sorted prehaps they could have freee range of the house? if wires were bunny proofed of course as buns love to have space the more the better! :)

the door is not closed very often (just at night)
if the litter training was sorted out, they would have free range of the whole house..

Back