• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you Panacure?

Do you Panacure?

• Yes

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Do you give your buns panacure as routine? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this?

I ask because I have never done it and am wondering if it best to do it. I have two rabbits who don't come in contact with any others.

Edit - History of them: Homer was tested for EC earlier this year and it was clear. Katy is from the RSPCA and we have had her for over 2 years now and there are no signs.

Thanks

Last edited:
Gregory was tested and came back clear of EC so it was my intention not to routinely Panacur him.

Now we have Gretel, she was fostered in a home with an EC bun so I will be doing it from now on. Think the hassle of paying for it and trying to get it down them (Gretel smears it everywhere!) is worth it as EC can cause so many problems.

I think I would if I was you as their Mum could have had it or other bunnies wherever they came from!

As there is an equal chance of them having it as not having it I think it is always safer to do 'just in case' as Panacur will not harm a non-EC carrier anyway.

As long as you don't over do it (which could possibly lead to some immunity from the protozoa) it should provide them with some protection. I'm very dubious nowdays about the role of Panacur as a 'preventative' because the studies show that the rabbits they tested on received Panacur during exposure which gives a limited window in which to administer it, so I prefer to think of it as immune support instead now :lol:. Though it could be considered a preventative in terms of stopping a rabbit becoming symptomatic rather than preventing them contracting EC.

If you suspect an active infection then obviously the Panacur will actually have something to fight against.

I gave mine their first dose in June, after reading so much about Panacur on here. I had read about EC in a rabbit health book I bought in March but didn't know about prevention at that time. My vets started recommending Panacur in approximately July.

As long as you don't over do it (which could possibly lead to some immunity from the protozoa) it should provide them with some protection. I'm very dubious nowdays about the role of Panacur as a 'preventative' because the studies show that the rabbits they tested on received Panacur during exposure which gives a limited window in which to administer it, so I prefer to think of it as immune support instead now :lol:. Though it could be considered a preventative in terms of stopping a rabbit becoming symptomatic rather than preventing them contracting EC.

I think this is my vets view about giving it as I asked him about it yesterday and he was not keen on the idea. I did express my concern that Homer's head was to one side the night before and told him it had frightened me (turned out to be his sore mouth thank goodness). He was not totally against it but did not feel it necessary. He is an exotics expert and I do value his expertise but I was just wondering what other people's views were on this.

I think my vets view is to only give medication when absolutely necessary so they don't become immune when they really do need it which is understandable.

My vets view is that the 9 days should be used at times of high risk, such as when your rabbit is going into boarding or is to be bonded and ideally should be used during or if that is not possible then afterwards.

In rabbits who have been exposed to EC we agree that worming them with 9 days biannually can help boost the immune system by helping the rabbits own antibodies to keep the spore levels at a manageable amount, thus keeping a carrier asymptomatic.

We both also think that a minimum 6 week course should be used on any rabbit that is showing possible symptoms and those rabbits that it lives with. 6 weeks used regularly on an asymptomatic rabbit could inadvertantly cause that rabbits antibody levels to drop too low to control a future infection thus rendering the rabbit more susceptible to damage and the infection becoming active.

If all rabbit were wormed for periods during their first few months (much like we worm puppies) and then again on reaching a new home (as stress lowers immunity and can make an asymptomatic infection active) there is a chance we could drastically reduce the risk EC presents. However if only some people did this then those rabbits would infact be more susceptible to catching EC as they would never develope an immune response.

TBH any vet will give you a different opinion, this is just mine and my vets and even we disagree on some areas. I've heard if you try and tie Emma Keebles down you will get mixed responses too, and she wrote the most reknowned report.

i did mine when doc i rescued doc he had worms so all my buns got a 9 day course, i will be doing them once a year during the summer month as they get lot of time in the garden

After having a bun with EC related head tilt, i would find it mad if anyone would choose not to panacur their bun!
I would have deffo done it to kermit prior to his EC if someone had told me about it!

Back