• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny wet bottom, please help

Claris

Young Bun
Hi all. I have two bunnies Jasper and Fi who are both mini lops and normally very happy and healthy. I went to clean them out today and as i picked up Fi, i could see that her back feet and bottom was damp and all of her fur had gone funny. I think it has dried but it looks pretty awful and smells of urine. Their hutch is very clean and they have a litter tray so i don't know why this has happened! could it be a diet issue?

Many thanks for any suggestions! :wave: i am rather worried.

This is probably the wrong place to put this, it's more likely to be seen in the health section of Rabbit care.

I can't think of what could cause it, perhaps an infection of some sort :?

I hope someone comes along soon that can offer more useful advice. Hope your bunny is ok though :)

Is this a one off? What do you have in your litter tray, maybe she went in litter tray and then sat in it.

To be on the safe side or if it happens again I would take her to the vet to get checked out.

Is this a one off? What do you have in your litter tray, maybe she went in litter tray and then sat in it.

To be on the safe side or if it happens again I would take her to the vet to get checked out.

I agree. One of my bridge bunnies had the same symptoms. Despite the fact that he kept eating as normal, I took him to the vets but they did not manage to save him :cry:. The post mortem showed kidney problems. I'm not saying that this will be the case for your rabbit, but just take him to the vets as soon as possible, just in case.

I have my vet coming this afternoon to do all my vaccs and I am getting him to have a look atone of my french lops as she is soaking wet. I have panacured her,give her antibiotics and nothing as cleared it so I will be seeing what he says as I presume tests will ned to be done:?

I have my vet coming this afternoon to do all my vaccs and I am getting him to have a look atone of my french lops as she is soaking wet. I have panacured her,give her antibiotics and nothing as cleared it so I will be seeing what he says as I presume tests will ned to be done:?

Vet coming to your house aye! :lol:
I wonder if mine would do that....:roll:

He probably would if you had 55 vaccs that needed doing:shock: Just sent David to work tonight to pay for them:lol::lol::lol::lol:

hi there.... jsut to let you know that a really good rabbit savvy vet local to you is jason burgess of quedgeley animal hospital in gloucester he also works at the branch in longlevens. he is definatly a rabbit expert and could help you out? he would certaintly do a thorugh health check and i highly recommend him here is telephone number for the q'ley branch...
01452 520056

I had a lop for 9 years with a recurring urine problem. In our case it was a sludgy bladder - he seemed prone to calcium build ups. we were advised to use particular items in his diet to reduce calcium as much as possible - celery, burgess pellets, timothy hay etc.

As i say, it didn't stop the problem in our case - periodically he would get a build up and because of the difficulty passing it it would lead to an infection. The only treatment in our case was really to spot it when it started and get some anti inflamitarys to deal with the skin irritation and urethrae irritation and some antibiotics for our inevitable accompanying infection (otherwise it would just drag out the whole thing).

Apart from that we had to rinse him with slightly warm water, dry thoroughly with a hair drier and put some powder on to soak up the moisture and calm the skin irritation.

Anyway - that was our rabbit, hopefully yours has just had an accident!

Hi Claris. How is Fi now?
Coco had a similar thing in the summer, he was wet through and left puddles everywhere he went. It was just before we went on hols, so warned my parents they may need to take him to the vets. As soon as he got to their house it completely stopped.

Thought it was just a one off but it happened again this weekend (over 4 months since last time), he was 'leaking' all sat and sunday and purposely pee'd all over the sofa (I could tell cos of the way he lifts his bum up).

Was going to ring the vets first thing monday but he was completely dry again and no more drips. Not sure if to take him anyway (the last post worries me a bit) or if to wait and see if it happens again.

Anyone else had similar episodes?

Back