• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mass under chin

Hi All,

Haven't posted for a while, in the process of getting my 3 year old daughter into nursery and it is a slow progress so time isn't my own. Do hope you are all keeing well.

Anyway my reason for posting is with regard to my daughters school rabbit Domino. She is an English rabbit (black and white) and has a mass under her chin. She is only a young rabbit, I would say under two. My father works in the school and has just rung me to ask me if I could find out some info. I'm yet to go through illness with my own buns so thought I would ask here.

The children are feeding her different plant life like codyline (you know the spikey bromliad) so that is obviously not doing her any good. Also her heart rate is up which would maybe indicate an infection, perhaps am abcess?

Would appreciate any advice, she is a lovely bunny and I am supposed to be looking after her at Christmas during the holidays. I have advised to take her to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

Louise

Hiya

If its a lumpy bit around her jaw get her checked out by vet asap .. our last bunny got a tooth abcess ... and they grow very quickly in rabbits and need removing / treatment ASAP...

Our story ended sadly .. :cry::cry: as it was too close to her throat be removed safely / successfully

just thought ..
Its not a DEWLAP is it .. some females get these i believe?

How quickly has it developed? If it's come up really suddenly then a vet visit is definitely in order very soon (i.e. tomorrow!) If it's been slowly appearing, it sounds like it could be a dewlap then - it's basically a huge double chin which develops in adult females so the female can pluck fur to line a nest for any babies. If it's getting big, I'd recommend that she is spayed, it should stop growing then and may even shrink a bit. Spaying is a good thing to do anyway as up to 85% of adult female rabbits get uterine cancer and unspayed bunnies can turn very territorial and aggressive, which probably isn't ideal if she is a school bunny (although having said that, I suppose at least it would teach the children not to mess with her!)

It's probably best to get her to the vets to be checked in any case just in case it is something else. Has she been vaccinated do you know? It might be a good opportunity to get that started too, she will be at much higher risk in an environment with lots of different people around her who can bring in viruses like VHD on their shoes and clothes.

Last edited:
Thanks Alison. Just rung Dad and he said it has been up before and then gone down so it does look like it is a dewlap. She is going to the vet because she seemed out of sorts and off her food anyway. I've advised on spaying and getting her vacced which she isn't sadly so hopefully the vet will advise that too.

Thanks for all your help! :)

Back