• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my bunny pregnant and what do I need to do?

gizbubs2

New Kit
My two French Lops accidently got out together and I was in the shed with my mini lop! I dont know what happened, but when I looked outside of the shed, just to check on them... I panicked and ran out to save Bebe... she was so still to the floor, whilst Snoopy was next to her! I didn't see any action, but recently there has been a couple of changes i've noticed, that are not usual!
This happened well over a week ago, not entirely sure what day!
I handle her everyday, however she's started kicking and jumps straight out of my arms back into her hutch! She still lets me stroke her, etc. But a few days ago I went to pick her up to check her underneath and I felt these tiny little bumps, what felt like tiny nipples!

I have also noticed how much she has been eating and drinking. She seems to always be hungry and I've been giving her a little extra, just incase! And has gained weight, her belly seems quite stiffer than normal! But as she is almost 6 months, she is obviously growing too!

I've been researching the internet and struggling, so I was wondering whether anybody could give me any advise on what to do incase she is?
With things like bedding, food, nest boxes, cleaning, etc?
I'm sure I will have alot more questions along the way!

Thank You,
Lauren x

I'm thinking she is most likely pregnant. But I couldn't advise on what to do next. Someone else should come along and give you better advice. :)

Can you confirm which rabbit you think is pregnant...one of the French lops or the mini lop? If the mini lop is pregnant by the frenchie, then I'd probably take her to the vets for an emergency spay on Monday.

Nipples are present in all rabbits, not just pregnant ones

Some rabbits do get rather moody during pregnancy, but it could just be a phantom pregnancy...however rabbits can mate very quickly so chances are that she IS pregnant

Good luck

Both frenchies!

No my minilop is neutered and has a poorly paw!! :(.
It was my two frenchies that got together.
If she is I would love some advise on what I need to do!!!
Thank You,
Lauren x

Caring homes!

lottielouise said:
I have read your thread on your possibly pregnant buns.

There have been a lot of Frenchies on the free ads in the manchester area, free to good home, not sure if they have all found homes, but you really need to think of where these bunnys would go once they are here.

If you know that you could find them good caring homes or that you would be able to keep them yourself as a neutered family group then I would say go ahead with the pregnancy, if not then maybe you should consider an emergency spay.

Its a horrid thing to say, or be thinking of, but there are sooo many bunnies in rescues,

Sorry to be saying it, and hope you understand where I am coming from

Louise
lottielouise said:
Hi there!

I have already took that in to account. I have a very big garden, currently being sectioned just for my bunnies :D! I have a couple of spare hutches and my partner enjoys making them in his spare time!

My sister rescues rabbits and chincillas and my s mum and gran own rabbits too. I had bunnies when I was younger and my parents bred them, but fortunately for us we do not have children !
My bunny's are my babies and I love spending so much time with them! :love:! I would love some more bunny's, and I must add they are much easier than children! Plus I work part time too, so have alot of spare time!

We also buy our food and bedding in bulk and get vaccinations and vets at decent prices. But that's not a problem anyway!

I will still advertise the bunny's, but it's not a problem for me if they don't find good caring homes, I have lots of space... I know how rabbits become so easily negleted, as to why my sister rescues!
Anyway I will be getting Snoopy neutered next week and then will be getting Bebe sprayed after 7-8 weeks of the babies being born.

Thank you
:bunny: Lauren :bunny:

Sorry didn't realise we weren't going the PM route, esp as I sent this as a PM

this is my reply to you, which I have also sent by PM

Sorry I didn't want to upset you in anyway, just for you to understand that there was another option. Some newbies are new to rabbit keeping and some very experienced, so you never know who or what level the person is at.

How lucky are you to have your hubby my OH thinks I have too many at three! and doesn't get involved. And I am certainly with you on how much better Rabbits are than Children!

And it is always nice to have another person from the area, I think the north west is severely under represented on here!

Good luck and post pics!!

Louise

Back