• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor cage for four bunnies?

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
So by pure accident by two pairs of bunnies became a foursome this week :shock: for the last 3 years i have had Timmy and Errol living together and at first had Gabriel and Stumpy living together, and when Gabriel sadly passed away, Molly became Stumpys friend. They all lived in the same room but had different free range times and obviously different cages.

Well on monday evening Molly and Stumpy were free ranging, i brought the veg up to give them and gave theirs first, i opened Timmy and Errols cage to give them theirs and before i could stop him Errol was out :shock: he ran straight over and......started eating with them :shock:i couldnt believe it. when i saw that i started thinking, i wonder if they would go together? so for the next two days they were given time out together-with not a single problem :shock: so wednesday night i decided to leave them out together unsupervised-everything was still fine :shock: better then fine, they have all been cuddled up in the basket together, eating and drinking together, washing each others eyes. it is an absolutely heart warming thing to see and for they way it all came about, im still shocked now! i hadnt even thought about getting the four of them together before because i just didnt think it possible. how wrong was i?:lol:

anyway, they are living together in a 48 inch dog crate at the moment. they have free run of the whole room(a very big room) all day and all night, apart from about 2 hours during the day when the pigs come out to free range, so they dont get locked in for long now(they used to have to split the time in half so this is so much better). I have been considering replacing the crates for a long time now because to be honest, i just dont like them. i have never been able to make a shelf for them so i feel there is alot of wasted height and they are also difficult to clean.

I have been looking at the rabbit 140 cage which seems to have the same floor space as a 48 inch crate just not the height, would this be ok for them to be locked in for 2 hours a day? i have read on a couple of sites that you can open the front up but on others it doesnt mention this, could someone with this cage confirm whether this is true or not? i would definately need it front opening so they can get in and out during free range for hay/toilet/water/food etc.

any other indoor cages that people could recommend for 4 bunnies? 3 of them are lionheads(Timmy and Errol are bigger then the average lionhead though) Molly is normal sized lionhead. im not sure of Stumpys breed but he is a *tiny* bunny. he isnt a netherland dwarf, his breed has completely escaped me so will update when i remember :oops:

I will try to get piccies of the four of them together up on the site, just need to make room on my laptop to drag the photos off my camera.

I have a 140cm cage from zooplus.. I don't know if it's the same one you are talking about but I can open the whole front of it. It isn't designed for the front to be open but it is possible.

Back