• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Night time bunny behaviour

cathyc

New Kit
Hi, I wondered if anyone had come across a house bunny leaving several caecotroph lying around during the night? He doesn't usually do this in the day, but when we get up in the morning there are between 2 and 10 where he's been sleeping!!! His teeth are in good health, he eats well and his sister doesn't do this. Any ideas?

Yup, it normally means a diet imbalance (but can also indicate a depressed/ill bunny), so it might be worth adjusting his diet somewhat and seeing what happens.

his diet consists of grass, hay, fruit and veg - no pellets. is it likely to be one of th fruits or veggies then?

Why does he not have pellets? Are your feeding a balanced all veg diet then? With the right types of food to give the right vitamins and minerals?

I would guess, if its diet related, its the fruit.

Do you see him eating them during the day? It might just be he has excess amounts and so leaves them.

we did when we first got them but he was never keen on them and we'd read that you didn't have to feed them pellets so haven't done since. We give them broccoli, curly kale, sometimes spinach leaves although not too often, carrot and apple in smaller amounts, celery, basil leaves, banana and raisins as treats. Are we perhaps missing something from his diet then?

thanks - have just had a quick look and it does say that pellets are not necessary if fresh veggies are given every day which they are - but perhaps they need more variety? Or would you recommend pellets anyway? Would more variety and/or pellets stop his night time behaviour?

Probably does't help but I'm having a similar problem with Inky since the weather has become more unsettled. My two only have a half tablespoon of mix (yes, I know) twice a day, so they don't have tonnes.

I would always feed a hard food though, even just a little amount like I do, to keep their vitamins etc OK. I wouldn't give more variety because it could upse their tummies.

I assume he has unlimited hay (a good variety of grasses)?

I would cut out all fruit as fruit contains too much sugar.
It is perfectly acceptable to feed a hay/veg only (good variety of both) diet to a healthy adult Rabbit.

:)

Back