• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

housing advice needed!!1

youngbunny2

Mama Doe
We have 9 yes 9 bunnies to house.Mum,dad and 7 babies.We have advertised them and nobody wants any so we are having to keep them all.What is the best set up to keep them in??????????????????????

how old are babies? firrstly i think you should try sexing so you know what you are dealing with. after 8 weeks babies can be seperated from mum. at around 12weeks the babies will neeed seperating into sex groups to avoid extra prgnancys. dad shouls already be in his own cage. i would personally get all bunnies speyed/neutered adn buy a large shed then you could bond all into a large group after netuering if keeping if not maybe you could try a local rescue tho im sure all are full they might help you look for new homes? are all bunnys vaccianted yet? by doing this you would increase the chances of them finding a home too as people will think there is less to do once they have them.

If you want to keep them all together then you will have to get them all neutered or they will fight with each other, even same sex pairings often fight unless neutered.

There are all sorts of things you can convert into a hutch for a large amount of bunnies. As above you can use a shed or you can convert a greenhouse shell or you could use one of those dog kennel combos like this one but on all of them you would have to add an extra large run on the outside so there is room for all of them.

If you want to keep them in pairs then you will need a 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch with a 6ft x 6ft run for each pair of rabbits.

I would split them according to sex, but if you don't have much experience on sexing bunnies, I would go to the vets for them to check.

How many places have you advertised? Have you tried pet websites and local newspapers? Maybe advertising in your front window and down the local store.

the babies are 6 weeks old at the moment,i will have it confirmed but i think we have 5 girls and 2 boys,dad has been separate since we knew she was pregnant. and was neutered 3 weeks ago.We have placed ads everywhere we can think of,i presume it is because they are frenchies that people dont want them! as you cant stick them in a cheap hutch.

the babies are 6 weeks old at the moment,i will have it confirmed but i think we have 5 girls and 2 boys,dad has been separate since we knew she was pregnant. and was neutered 3 weeks ago.We have placed ads everywhere we can think of,i presume it is because they are frenchies that people dont want them! as you cant stick them in a cheap hutch.

Oh I´d love to take a bunch of them, but I live in Sweden. I don´t understand why people don´t want the frenchies? They´re like dogs and make excellent free range buns indoors. I really love french lops!

Maybe if you told people that they can have a french lop free range indoors then they wouln´t have to worry about getting a large hutch and run. They only have to make their home bunny-safe and then give the bunny a litter tray and tray for hay etc. Frenchies are very easy to teach and they really make lovely house-buns :love:

Remember males are still fertile for up to 6 weeks after the op, so keep them seperated until then

Back