• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what is normal wee?

lauraocal

Warren Scout
My Bunny has a whole rainbow of wee colour and I was wondering if someone could just put me at ease as to which are ok and which are not?

The colour varies between dark red, to orange, to white, to yellow.
I can see myself it depends on what she eats like carrot makes it a very dark red colour ect.

Yup, that's all ok, and normal :) Blood clots in the wee are clear and look very different from red wee. Also if he wees thick chalky, gritty wee, that's a problem too, or little and often, but those colours you mentioned are fine.

Your bunny and his rainbow wee are completely normal and healthy. Most colour changes, as you say, are related to changes in what you feed that day! :D

You mentioned chalky wee.. she occasionally has a thickish white wee, maybe no chalky as such but quite thick..is this a problem?

Basically healthy bunnies get rid of excess calcium salts via the renal system, this can result in the urine turning chalky or opaque. The urine will often dry to a white, chalky residue. If residue is thick, pasty, and the colour of mustard powder , this is normal, and should not be considered "sludge."

However, when excessive amounts of calcium/oxalate salts are present in the urinary tract, they sometimes manifest as a thick, curry-coloured "sludge", this is far more obvious. Rabbits who produce this sort of urine, more than likely experience Urine Scald, which is also obvious from an inspection of their rear end!

In very serious cases the "Sludge" can be so severe that it is the consistancy of toothpaste :shock:

Your rabbit sounds fine. Don't worry. :D

i was also wondering about this as my baby's is sometimes bright orange....and obviously i was a little worried as to whether this was normal. He doesn't eat much carrot (which is what i initially thought it could be when i got him) any other idea as to what could cause this?
he only really eats dry food, hay, kale (on occasions)

he must have eat some green plant to cause the urine to change or orange. However, orange urine is okay, I've seen it all the time

Do you no my floppy had a beetroot the other day and when i went in the next day i nearly had heart failure all this pink/red wee all over :( till i came on here and checked its quite normal :oops: :roll:

Hello
George and Dillan:wave:

My friend phoned me one day in a panic, after my son had been round hers after school.
He'd had a poo (couldn't wait until he got home bless him) and she thought he had passed blood - again he had eaten beetroot!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry gone of the thread a bit!!!

Incidently my 2 buns have different colour wees at times too!:):)

Back