• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Worming

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Hello i'm just a bit confused on how to worm my bun. He weighs just over 1.5kg but it says to administer 1 graduation for every 2.5kgs. So how would i work it out? just give him half a graduation? or do i have to wait until he is at least 2.5kg.

Sorry if i'm just being stupid haha never wormed a rabbit before :?

thanx

xx

Give him half a graduation :) We worm allsorts of diff weight bunnies :) You just have to adjust the dose according to their size :)

Good luck :D :D xXx

My rabbit's weigh 1.5kg and 1.9kg each. The vet gave me instructions to give them one whole graduation each. Panacur is safe and you don't have to worry about overdosing by such small amounts.

I had the same problem the other week! But I spoke to my vet and he said a whole graduation is fine, even though Josie is under 2.5kg. He did say if I felt better judging half a graduation by eye then I could do that but there would be no harm to her health if I dosed her a whole graduation.

Hope that puts your mind at rest too! :D

my vets are usually pretty thorough. Why have they never mentioned worming my buns?:shock:

I don't know? Are they pretty good on buns usually? Most vets recommend that you do a course of panacur at least twice a year! I'd try and get them wormed soon and ask your vet why they have never mentioned it to you! x

Well my vet didn't mention anything to do about worming. I got it because somebody advised me to get it on here :)

I'll give him one graduation then i think, i tried to give him a half of one but its practically impossible to judge :? lol

thanx :)

Thats what I found, Josie weighs 1.5 kg and she had her full course of 1 graduation for 9 days and is fine :D

You can't OD a rabbit on Panacur unless you start feeding them half a tube daily. For a medium sized rabbit stick to 1.5grads daily for a minimum of 4 weeks, every 6 months, if you already suspect EC then keep that same dose for 8 weeks. 9 days is not sufficient for de-worming.
You can't tell whether a bun has EC until they start showing symptoms or from the results of a blood test, better to be safe rather than sorry and give them longer doses (refer to above re OD)
Best way to administer is to get your bun in your arms, turn them onto their back and syringe the 1.5 grad straight into their mouth, otherwise you can do it while your bun is on the floor from the side of the mouth.
To reiterate, de-worming of buns is as critical as getting Myxi/VHD jabs done.

wait what? is that tube enough to cover 4 weeks? :shock:

He takes it straight from the syringe lmao! he likes the taste :lol:

wait what? is that tube enough to cover 4 weeks? :shock:

He takes it straight from the syringe lmao! he likes the taste :lol:

lol, likewise with our bun, different matter when it comes to syringing Baytril though ;) Panacur is like nectar compared to Baytril, try them both, even the human tongue can taste the difference :lol:

lol, likewise with our bun, different matter when it comes to syringing Baytril though ;) Panacur is like nectar compared to Baytril, try them both, even the human tongue can taste the difference :lol:

hahaha! can't say they really appeal to my taste buds! :p

Back