• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise on bonding

Cath

New Kit
Hi there, I'm new here but love the site and wondered if anyone could give me their opinion on my situation.
I have a 6 month old doe called Florence her little friend Dougle died a couple of weeks ago and she is looking lonely. I am not sure how to go about getting her a new friend. She has not been neutered yet I went to the vet this week and she said she was still too little to be done (if at all - she said the operation is quite complex and it should only be done if you need to not just for the sake of it) now, I thought it was good to get a female rabbit neutered for their long term health?! Anyone think I need to see a different vet?
Originally I was going to ger her done before getting another bun so she would be more willing to bond!
Now I'm thinking of getting a neutered male or one that is old enough so I can get him neutered and then introdce them after his is 'all clear' (how long does this take?2-3 weeks).
What do you think?

Hello, welcome :wave:

I see it as important for either to be neutered/spayed.
Espec a female with the risks of Uterine cancer.

I would possibly seek advice from another Vet.
If you were to get her spayed and then look at a rescue for a neutered male (theres plenty out there), maybe give her 7-14days to recover and then try bond them..

Have bonded a fair few now, if you need any help/advice..

xxxx

To be honest, I would find another vet quick. That vet doesn't sound very rabbit savvy at all, and also not confident about doing the operation. I woudl advise getting her spayed by a rabbit savvy vet and then when she is healed looking for a neutered friend.

If you choose to keep her intact you need a bun who has been neutered 7-8 weeks prior because they can still 'do the deed' for 6-7 weeks after a neuter.

If nobody else can recommend one, you could try emailing GBH Rescue to ask which vet they use. They're based in Beckenham, so not too far away from you and, being a rescue, they regularly have rabbits neutered. :) I know they usually spay their females at 6 mths.

A lovely lady called Angela deals with the emails etc and I'm sure she'd be happy to help. ;) gbhrescue-rehoming@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks for that have had an email from Angela and have Florence booked in for her op! Also found her a friend called Flash who is a year old! Hopefully they will be happy together!:love:

Only just seen this. That's great news about Florence's op, I hope it goes well, and I'm so pleased you've found a friend for Florence too. :D

Back