• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could Jemima our giant have some vibes please??

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
We had to take Jemima to the emergency vets on Sunday as she seemed to be suffering with a lot of abdominal discomfort, had diaorrhea & wouldn't eat anything. They kept her overnight on a drip, to syringe feed her & to try to get her temperature down (which was really high) & to try to do an x-ray of her tum. They weren't able to do it Sunday as they thought she was too poorly, so we transferred her to our own vets first thing yesterday morning.

After discussing things with our vet Jane, we decided that we had no option but to sedate her to do the x-ray - her temperature had come down, but she was obviously still in a lot of pain. When they x-rayed Jane advised it would be best to operate & investigate further as to what was causing her so much pain - she felt Jemima might be suffering from pyometria (I believe this is where the uterus & womb become infected with pus in unspeyed females). We agreed that an emergency spey would be the best thing for Jemima & give Jane the chance to check if there was anything else underlying. It was clear if we didn't go ahead with the op, we would lose Jemima.

We rescued Jemima in May this year from a sanctuary - she was 4 yrs old & unspeyed. After discussing this with our vet, we decided not to risk her being speyed because of her age & breed. I can't help but feel now we should have taken the risk back in May to have her speyed, as this would have prevented her suffering pyometria. I think this goes to show how important it is to spey females.

We brought her home yesterday evening & she was very quiet & subdued - I know to be expected, bearing in mind the op she's had. I've just returned from the vets with her this morning, as I took in for some more pain relief & they have injected her with some fluid - as she's not eaten or drunk much overnight. I'm desperately hoping she comes through her ordeal - touch wood at the moment she is munching her way through a huge pile of dandelions & grass!! And we have some poo!!!! Isn't it great how poo can make bunny owners so happy :D

She's a wonderful bunny & is her daddy's princess! She adores my hubby & follows him round the house like a dog. Any spare vibes anyone has got for Jemima, would be very much appreciated - she adores attention & would love to know other bunny owners are thinking about her.

Here's some pics of our beautiful girl - she's got to get better as her new partner Toby is waiting for her & desperately in love with her! :love:

Jemima.jpg

CNV00029.jpg

Last edited:
Sending Jemima lots and lots of vibes. She is a lovely bun and I'm keeping everything crossed that she'll be back to her normal self in no time. xx

Jemima says thank you very much for your vibes & good wishes - she says to tell you all she has now eaten some corriander & parsley & is hoping to start feeling better soon.

We'll keep you posted on how she's doing x

Sending vibes ((())) :love:
She is SO like Amber :shock: :love:

Thanks guys Jemima says she's really, really trying to get better & just eaten a few pellets & half a spring green leaf. She says she's missing Toby so much - although she likes spending more time with her mummy when she's on RU!!

I know Amy I thought that before - looks like they were twins separated at birth :shock::lol:

Lots of vibes for the lovely girl. I want to have Milly done asap but the vet wants to wait a while as her system's taken quite a battering from having 3 GAs in under 910 weeks as well as anitiotics for her abcesses. The thing is, we think she must be around 4 ,or even 5 and the clock's ticking.

Lots of vibes for the lovely girl. I want to have Milly done asap but the vet wants to wait a while as her system's taken quite a battering from having 3 GAs in under 910 weeks as well as anitiotics for her abcesses. The thing is, we think she must be around 4 ,or even 5 and the clock's ticking.

Thanks Capel, Jemima is slightly brighter today but she's still not eating a great deal, although she has drunk quite a bit by herself today. She's also done quite a few poos, albeit they're really tiny ones - which is definitely not like Jem :shock: Just hoping she's going in the right direction, though I think it's going to be a long battle to get her completely back to her normal self.

I know it's difficult to decide what's best when thinking about speying an older female, especially as your Milly has had 3 GA's in such a short space of time. I'm sure once Milly's got her strength back & recovered well enough she'll be fine when she's speyed. Keep us posted on how she goes on.

We've got another female who we were not going to have done, Minnie is a little black polish rabbit & only weighs about 3lbs - we thought the op might be too big for such a tiny bun, plus we don't know her age as she was a stray we rescued. However, with what's happened with Jem we're now thinking about taking the risk. You just worry about them so much don't you?

Absolutely!! I had one of mine into the vet today as she wasn't herself this morning. He couldn't find anything wrong and she WOLFED down her dinner tonight!!!! :shock: I'm sure the vets think I'm mad - we are definitely weekly visitors!! :oops:

Sending lots of vibes for Jemima. She is an absolute honey!!! :love: Hope she feels better soon xxx

Absolutely!! I had one of mine into the vet today as she wasn't herself this morning. He couldn't find anything wrong and she WOLFED down her dinner tonight!!!! :shock: I'm sure the vets think I'm mad - we are definitely weekly visitors!! :oops:

Sending lots of vibes for Jemima. She is an absolute honey!!! :love: Hope she feels better soon xxx

Thanks Ryan, thanks Beth.

Have just come back in - left my hubby on Jemima watch & he says she's gone mad having a real munch of her tea & drunk loads of water again. She's now curled up in her basket having a snooze - bless her.

Hope your little one is doing ok Beth & feeling better than she did this morning. I know what you mean about visiting the vets tho', I'm sure ours think I'm paranoid about our buns - we seem to be there every week too for one think or another! :oops::shock:

Ive just caught up with this Jemima looks so much like my Barlie,god rest her soul,Im so glad she is on the mend she is such a beautiful bunny.Its strange how these beautiful giant buns get such strange health problems.

Ive just caught up with this Jemima looks so much like my Barlie,god rest her soul,Im so glad she is on the mend she is such a beautiful bunny.Its strange how these beautiful giant buns get such strange health problems.

Thanks Maizey, we've never had a giant bun before Jemima & up to now she'd be really healthy, but I suppose at her age we ought to expect a few problems. I just hoping she recovers well enough to continue enjoying her retirement with us & settle in with her new husbun Toby. Bless your Barlie, I remember seeing her pic with with husbun - they were both absolutely gorgeous & very special buns.

Here's a pic I've taken of her in her basket tonight.

DSCF2401.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Maizey, we've never had a giant bun before Jemima & up to now she'd be really healthy, but I suppose at her age we ought to expect a few problems. I just hoping she recovers well enough to continue enjoying her retirement with us & settle in with her new husbun Toby. Bless your Barlie, I remember seeing her pic with with husbun - they were both absolutely gorgeous & very special buns.

Thank you for remembering them.Im praying that Jemima gets better to live out her life with her new hubby Toby:love::love::love::love:Please keep me updated on her progress

Thank you for remembering them.Im praying that Jemima gets better to live out her life with her new hubby Toby:love::love::love::love:Please keep me updated on her progress

Thanks Maizey, I'll let you know how she goes on - at the moment, I feel happier tonight about her than I have done all week, but I know with buns you never know - just keeping everything crossed, as I know how devastating it is when you lose buns.

Back