• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kimi's Spey

Chook

Young Bun
I have booked grumpy Kimi into the vets for her spay this wednesday. As advised I have brought her inside to get her used to being indoors so after the op it won't be too traumatic. She is in a large dog crate with all of the essentials.

I just wanted to ask a few q's about the spay so I know what to expect;

The vets haven't mentioned and dietry needs and I was wondering if she needs to be nil by mouth or not?
Also I presume she will be one pain meds, how do I administer these?
How mobile will she be after and how do I care for her?
When should I put her back outside?
I have put a wool baby blanket in her carrier so she is used to it and she is just nibbling it, is this a problem?

Also since she has been in the house I noticed a very strong smell, do does spray, or is it the wee in her litter tray that smells?

If there is anything anyone can think of that I need to know please tell me as I am so nervous about the op nd aftercare, really feel guilty about it too :roll:

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have booked grumpy Kimi into te vets for her spay this wednesday. As advised I have brought her inside to get her used to being indoors so after the op it won't be too traumatic. She is in a large dog crate with all of the essentials.

I just wanted to ask a few q's about the spay so I know what to expect;

The vets haven't mentioned and dietry needs and I was wondering if she needs to be nil by mouth or not?
No, dont stop her eating, right up to the op, she needs to eat unlike cats and dogs.
Also I presume she will be one pain meds, how do I administer these?
These should have already been administered before you take her home, by the vet
How mobile will she be after and how do I care for her?
For the first 24 - 48 hours she may be a bit quiet, just keep her warm and make sure she is eating, if she hasnt eaten in 24 hours, take her straight back to the vets.
When should I put her back outside?
I would ideally keep her in until her post op check.
I have put a wool baby blanket in her carrier so she is used to it and she is just nibbling it, is this a problem?

Also since she has been in the house I noticed a very strong smell, do does spray, or is it the wee in her litter tray that smells?

If there is anything anyone can think of that I need to know please tell me as I am so nervous about the op nd aftercare, really feel guilty about it too :roll:

Thanks in advance

Hey i have answered the questions i know, above xx

Thankyou for the responses :)

I took her in this morning, and bless her she was so worried, probably not as much as I am. The nurse was really good and was speaking to me about how it's for the best.

She got kimi out of her carrier by gently placing a towel over her and advised me to do this next time I needed to pick her up, does anyone else do this? it certainly calmed Kimi down.

When it came to reading and signing the form I couldn't do it and was really thinking about if it was the reight decision, the nurse telling me that they don't cope with anaesthesia (sp?) too well! But the uterine cancer stats spurred me on!

She also said Kimi could do with a mate, I would do this without thinking but my husband is completely against it for many reasons, I have my reservations too. But is Kimi going to be desperately unhappy forever? :(

So until 3pm today (when I can call them) I will be wearing a hole in the carpet :roll:

Just thought I'd post an update.

Got her back home half an hour ago, :love: she has been given pain meds and a gut stimulant. She looks a little bit dopey but seems happy to be home. She has attmpted to it a little bit of danedlion and has washed her face. She is now chilaxing in her ltter tray, very comfy i'm sure :roll:

if she poos and wee's then she doesn't have to go back until friday. Anyone have any advice on getting her to drink?

TA x

:wave: Glad the op went well :D I'd give her a bowl as well as a bottle of water and just leave it nearby. I wouldn't bug her too much with it at this stage as she will be feeling poorly (it is in effect a bunny hysterectomy after all!), I'd just leave her be.

Ideally I would say that outdoor bunnies in particular should have a companion, as they are naturally social creatures. Indoor bunnies at least have people around them a lot of the time, but with the best will in the world an outdoor bunny will be on their own for probably 20+ hours a day. Maybe your hubby may be able to be persuaded in a couple of months when everything has settled down...or bring him round to see how happy my naughty pairs are. Having had singles and pairs I can honestly say that seeing the difference a companion makes, I would never choose to have a single rabbit again. If they live together, apart from the obvious extra expenses, it's really no more trouble than one.

Yeh I have just left her to it really, she so wants to go to sleep but keeps fighting it. She did a binky and then yelped, so I think now she knows that energetic leaps aren't the way forward. I was thinking how with a human, a hysterectomy would have you in hosp for at least a week, and why buns dont get that luxury.

I have already approached the subject again today about a mate and sort of insinuated that if the spey isn't enough to make her happy then we may have to consider another. This was responded to with a grunt, which is better than a no :D.
Problem is I have kinda fallen in love with a rescue advertised on here but he probably wont be around for long enough :roll: :(

Hiya hon :)

Glad to hear about Kimi, my two (Kiki and Hiro) are booked in for their spay/castration on the 24th (nervous!) so it's great to hear about Kimi's progress, glad to hear it all went well.

After a month or so once my two are done I will be bonding them (fingers-crossed it all goes well). I would have a chat with your man, I think it's a fab idea to get two, and you can simply just get a smaller breed? Most centres also provide bonding events where you take you bunster along to find her perfect partner, which I strongly suggest you think about this as bunnies can be picky when it comes to pairings.

x x

Hiya hon :)

Glad to hear about Kimi, my two (Kiki and Hiro) are booked in for their spay/castration on the 24th (nervous!) so it's great to hear about Kimi's progress, glad to hear it all went well.

After a month or so once my two are done I will be bonding them (fingers-crossed it all goes well). I would have a chat with your man, I think it's a fab idea to get two, and you can simply just get a smaller breed? Most centres also provide bonding events where you take you bunster along to find her perfect partner, which I strongly suggest you think about this as bunnies can be picky when it comes to pairings.

x x

:wave: Thanks for the response. I think if we get past tomorrow I'll rest easy!
She has had food and a little poo but nothing to drink and hasn't weed so anxiously waiting. And for you double the worry I'm sure! Especially if your boy treats it like "buck flu", sooo much harder for the girlies.

I really really woul love another one, but I really want to consider it fully first. Plus I want to see what sort of bun Kimi is once she has recovered fully and lost her hormonal issues. Plus I have the husband to persuade. So we shall see.
Thanks for the advice, smaller breed could be an idea. Letting the bunnies choose is all well and good, but what if I fall in love with another one surely the cutest looking pair should be the best ;) lol

Shall look into the bonding event thingy.

ta x

No probs hon - it was my bf's idea to get a pair of buns when my loner bun died last March, just so nice to see two bunnies snuggled up to each other :)

Good luck with Kimi, hope she drinks too :) You could try a little pineapple juice in the water if she doesn't drink during the night, also could try a little veg - this is another way for her to get liquids x

Nothing cuter than buns cuddling!

I have no pineapple juice, could I use apple juice? I have offered her all sorts of fruit and veg but she's not interested in them, only dry weeds!

Yeah, a little apple juice should be good :) if you have any fresh apples too, you could try this? My Kiki loves apples :D

Alas, Kimi hasn't drunk anything since I got her home. She has nibbled a little dandelion and the end of a carrot, but hasn't had much hay and hasn't touchedher pellets, which she normally finishes pretty fast.

Bless her she has tried to use her litter tray as much as poss and has weed and pooed. Its the fluids I'm concerned about though.

In herself she looks quite sore andis taking things slow, she is laying down most of the time and has even allowed me to give her a few reasuring strokes.

I called the vets this morning and she is going in today at 3pm her post op check was booked for tommorow but they are concerned and have said she may need another dose of gut stimulant. So we shall see what happens.

Don't feel massivly guilty at all :roll:

you could try syringing some water into her or put some juice into her water. petal didn't drink a whole lot but she did take regualer sips after hers. think it all depends on the bun and wether she drank a whole lot before. i hope she gets well soon :wave::love:

Don't feel massivly guilty at all :roll:

Awwww, hopefully she'll perk up soon. How did it go at the vets this afternoon?

If she's eating veg, she'll be getting some water from them. Alfie didn't drink a great deal after his op but I found that he preferred cooled boiled water (lukewarm).

:wave: Thanks for the concern and vibes.

I didn't post an update yesterday as I was up to my eyeballs.

She went to the vets and this is how it went;

Vet " Hello come in, now lets take a look at your cat"
Me " Er Rabbit!":?
Vet " Oh yes silly me, what seems to be the problem"
Me " You spayed her yesterday, and being that she hasn't had anything to drink for 24hrs, you told me to come in"
Vet " Ok lets have a look at her" Pinch Pinch " She's not dehydrated, so thats good and her wound looks fabulous, but I am concerned that she hasn't had anything to drink, I'll get some saline and we'll give her some"
So in she comes and encourages me to pin Kimi down while she administers the saline after the first syringe full Kimi has a hoolie and nearly falls off the table. So she put a towel over her head for the next 4 injections! :shock:
Vet " That should make her feel better anyway, now just to make sure she doesn't seize up I'll give her some more gut stimulant"
Me " but she is pooing fine, and nibbling a little"
Vet " It's best to make sure so if you can just hold her for me and squeeze her hindlegs in your fingers as hard as you can and her forelegs the same way with your other hand"
Well I was finding this very hard to do, and with the vet saying no squeeze harder I was getting more and more flustered. The room had filled with the smell of Kimi **** and she was obviously frightened. Then the vet syringed the gut stimulant in and told me that she would need to have this done 3times a day.
Vet " I'll get you some Supreme recovery and you can syringe that in the same way, you won't have to bring her back tommorow unless you're worried, you wont be charged for this consultation but I'll have to charge you for the recovery and stimulant"
Surprise surprise. :evil:

Well I haven't given Kimi any of the above, mainly because I am not going to risk damaging her wound in the struggle to catch her, also I cannot hold her with 2 hands and syringe with my toes and I'm not sure if she needs them either.
Give the vets their due, they did everything by the book and I cannot fault them in their clinical standards but I do feel that they insisted she needed the extras for a bit of extra cash.
So last night I fed her a variety of veg all wet to make sure some extra fluids were going in and she is back on track. This morning she was hoping round like a nutter seems very perky. She has drunk littleand often.
So hopefully progress will continue and there will be no furthur problems.

Fingers crossed for KIMI BUN :love:

Aww :D Sounds like Kimi is making brilliant process despite the session in the vets. I hope she's getting better and better as it goes, let me know :) x x

I put her in the run on the grass today, making the most of the lovely weather and it was Binkies galore. How on earth she's not sore I'll never know!

The problem I have now is her wound, being that she's not pick upable and I dont want to loose the trust I'm building I can't check her wound. Will it be ok if I leave it or should I just do it?

Great stuff :thumb: I've never had a bun spayed (Kiki is due for hers on the 24th) but if you (or Kimi) isn't happy being picked up you can keep her still by feeding her some of her fave foods, When I was checking Kiki I got her to come up to my lap (legs crossed) and give her some of her mix food and got my bf to have a look - this was a good angle and she didn't mind us propping up her bum to have a look.

If she's not so fussed being picked up you could place her so the back of her legs are supported by the ground (this should help as she'll be less likely to kick out) and view her from the front :)

Back