• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming

JadedRed

Young Bun
Wasn't sure where to put this but this seems as good as any.

I've always had problems grooming Arthur, he wont let me near his belly, bum or chin. I've finally grabbed him to get a good brush and his hair around his bum and tail is terribly matted. I tried to brush and trim it but i'm finding it hard to see where his bits are to cut around, theres loose skin i cant even see any testicles! Which is a little bit worrying as he is supposed to be an unneutered male!

Does anyone have any tips on grooming for such a difficult case? He obviously finds it so stressful and it worries me :(

Also does anyone know how i can tell what breed he is? He is so big he has to be a giant breed, heres a picture :

l_869742cdb90b52b11bdd3fe1d6f7c194.jpg

He doesn't look particularly fluffy, what is causing the mats? Is he getting poop caught up?

Like wise, they shouldn't usually mat around the chin/underneath area unless they are long furred or something is making the fur prone to matting.

You can remove lose fur with your fingers/a slightly damp hand or cloth if he doesn't like the comb.

Males get testicles about 3-4 months but some do develop them later. Depending on how old he is you might want to get a vet to double check as if he is male and they haven't dropped you'll need to get him neutered.

It's hard to tell scale from the photo, how much does he weigh? He could be a giant cross :)

I just want to add to what Tamsin said and say that they can retract their bits back into their body, thus making it difficult sometimes, to locate them.

But I also agree he shouldn't really be getting mats. Does he dribble urine?

My daughters rabbit is fluffy and got a little tangled underneath and the vet nurse shaved him underneath for her. It can be hard to see where to cut yourself if the tangle is close to the skin. They only charged her £8 and now she can keep up with it. Good luck. Pam

The chin doesn't usually matt its just the underneath. His fur seems quite thick though, its difficult to find the skin underneath it, is that a normal amount of fur for a rabbit or is he partciuarly fluffy? I think the biggest problem is neglect on my part, he gets so upset i have avoided grooming him underneath for too long. His size makes it difficult for me to hold him still and groom him also.

I use my fingers and a brush to get the fur on top (and he loves that) but the underneath he just wont let me anywhere near so i have to lay him down on his back in my lap and hold his front paws with one hand and try and comb him and avoid getting kicked by the back legs with the other.

I'm not sure how much he weighs but he's bigger than a small dog if that helps :D

He doesn't look particularly fluffy, what is causing the mats? Is he getting poop caught up?

Like wise, they shouldn't usually mat around the chin/underneath area unless they are long furred or something is making the fur prone to matting.

You can remove lose fur with your fingers/a slightly damp hand or cloth if he doesn't like the comb.

Males get testicles about 3-4 months but some do develop them later. Depending on how old he is you might want to get a vet to double check as if he is male and they haven't dropped you'll need to get him neutered.

It's hard to tell scale from the photo, how much does he weigh? He could be a giant cross :)

I dont have any advice hun but that is one Disapproving Rabbit if I ever saw one!

What a grumpy face! :love:

yeah i think you should do what tamsin said take him to the vets and get him nutuered if its a he, that'll calm him down and under the anstethic get them to shave off the bad parts. You may just have to be patient with him and do it every day till he grows acustom to be being brush everyday, when i'm checking teds bum i hang her over my knees and lift her bum up a bit and use the comb to comb out any tangles there. you may also want to invest in those glove combs, so it'll feel more like petting than grooming. i hope you can get him sorted but deffo think take him to the vets, you don't want him getting fly strike or anything. ;)

I'm reluctant to get him neutered as when he had his last operation apparently the vet said it was risky to put him under anaesthetic and it was shortening his lifespan.

I think i've managed to sort out most of the mats now. I curl him up on his side on my lap holding his upper body with my left arm then comb the bad areas with a flea comb and then a brush. I've been doing this everyday and giving him his dinner afterwards and he seems to be getting used to it (and if i feed him afterwards he doesn't have time to sulk and get upset about it, he loves his food:lol:).

yeah i think you should do what tamsin said take him to the vets and get him nutuered if its a he, that'll calm him down and under the anstethic get them to shave off the bad parts. You may just have to be patient with him and do it every day till he grows acustom to be being brush everyday, when i'm checking teds bum i hang her over my knees and lift her bum up a bit and use the comb to comb out any tangles there. you may also want to invest in those glove combs, so it'll feel more like petting than grooming. i hope you can get him sorted but deffo think take him to the vets, you don't want him getting fly strike or anything. ;)

I'm reluctant to get him neutered as when he had his last operation apparently the vet said it was risky to put him under anaesthetic and it was shortening his lifespan.

:shock:

My first vet told me the chances are my bun would die if I had her sterilised. After advice from the people on here I found a rabbit-savvy vet who always recommends sterilisation. Could you find another vet maybe?

A small dog-sized bun, I want one! even a disapproving one like yours, he's lovely :D

Back