• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which Litter?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I've just been informed that wood-based litter gives off fumes which are poisonous to rabbits. In the past, I have used Carefresh, Megazorb and now the wood-based litter. On packets, it says it can be used for rabbits. ??? What can I use that is safe, and available in most pet shops? I don't like Carefresh or Megazorb.

Last edited:
my eldest bunny is almost 7 now and i have always used wood based pine scented litter i use beauticat at the minute and my bunny is great :)

I use Beauticat, and sometimes P@H own one if I can't get Beauticat, and my bunnies are fine on it. Just worried about these 'fumes'.

I just use newspaper and hay in their litter trays. Used to used Carefresh or Biocatolet but too expensive.

Are you sure you have your facts correct about megazorb and carefresh :?

I don't know that happens (put the previous info in the wrong context) but I wouldn't like to take the chance as it enlarges when wee gets in contact with it, whereas wood-based litter just disintergates.

I believe it is only pine based litters that give off nasty chemicals. I think a paper based one would probably be good, try biocatolet I liked it

http://www.sphsupplies.co.uk/produc...d=320&osCsid=fc3b15ee979dce7b8efb3a28047e7dc4

I think you should reword your post, people might panic and stop using completely safe litter. It is clumping clay based litter that can be eaten and cause problems. Plus I doubt the manufactures would be too happy :lol:

Because of conflicting advise about wood based cat litter etc, I buy puppy pads from the pound shop. I put the pad in the tray, put a couple of sheets of newspaper on top of that, then put hay on top of the paper.

You could try something called back2nature. It's a pellet form of recycled paper. I think it's about as expensive as carefresh tough.

Paper comes from wood too :lol:

I've always used shavings, although some times I've used a bedding made from seaweed:roll: (Bought it for my hamster because she was longhaired, and I had Sasuke inside at the time and quite often I didn't want to bother going out to get the shavings left in the shed, so I just put Temari's seaweed-bedding in the litter box, saves my floor better than the shavings too:lol:)

I don't see how all wood-based litters are supposed to be bad. Wild rabbits don't get sick from smelling trees do they? Norwegian hares practically live of wood in the winter, since all the grass is covered in snow.

i stopped using litter cus pearl liked to dig it out of the litter tray... i just use newspaper and hay now.. changed every other day (3 litter trays) they only let off a smell when im emptying them so im saving a fortune and my house dont stink :D:D

im pretty sure its the wood shavings that let off the bad chemicals that affect little livers :(, wood pellets are cooked at high temperatures and lose the bad stuff... was over a year ago when i read into it so i dont have a link to the website i found sorry.

Back