• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spud's getting neutered tomorrow

binkacat

Young Bun
Where should I keep him tomorrow night. He's mainly an outdoor rabbit and I don't have an indoor cage for him. Would he be better off in his hutch where he has more room or in a cat carrying cage which would be warm for him but not much room.

Thanks.

I would say in a carry case inside because he will need to be warm after, and he won't be able to run around too much anyway. Another option is putting the carry case inside and blocking off part of an area in your home that will be safe for him to go in so that he can have a potter and still be inside.

Only safe place is the kitchen - where he's allowed when I'm about. But don't really want him in there overnight as hubby will go nuts if he chews the bottom of the cupboards. Plus I have a cat.

Could he go in the carry case overnight and then in the kitchen during the next day? Could you maybe go out and buy a cheap but larger carry case?

He could definetly go in the kitchen the next day as I'll be home. Will have to see if I can nip to Pets At Home in the morning for a bigger case- thanks.

yeah my baby will have to stay in her carry case till her dog crate arrives. mines getting done tomorrow. hope yours goes well. good luck. :love:

Try and get a bigger case, as you'll want them to be moving about as much as possible to keep their guts going. Every once in a while, just nudge them around their case so you know they are moving around.

Just got him back from the vet and he is spending the night in the utility room which I've bunny proofed today. His litter tray is in there, his carry case with the door open. I've put some food, inc fresh grass by his carry case. He's just lying in the carry case looking unhappy. How long before I should expect him to be up and about?

Aw, I'm glad he is doing well.

Tonight he will still be tired from the GA, but you would expect him to have a nibble on something tonight, and poo and wee too, although he will want to sleep. For boys they generally return to normal the next day unless they are a wallower because they can take longer to return to normal.

Did you get pain meds for him because that is important to help him recover.

They gave him a painkilling injection which they said lasts for 24hours. They said he should be fine after that.

I always give mine painkillers for three days after a neuter. That makes them more inclined to recover quicker and also less inclined to chew and worry the wound. A lot of vets still don't go by that though. It might be worth seeing about getting some, for your buns sake.

OK, will go back to the vet tomorrow and get some. She did say if Spud seemed to be in pain tomorrow I could go and get some painkillers that go in his food - does that sound right?

Anyway he's up and about now - eating and glaring at me. :)

Hi :wave: so glad it went ok spot and harley say welcome to the no PLUMS club brother :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi Sazzy, :wave:

Spud seems to be doing really well. Hopping about and has pooed well overnight. I've put him back in his run as the sun is shining and its such a nice day.

Back