• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often should bun have vacs and what

mrshorsy

Warren Scout
Hi
I'm a very new bunny owner, just introduced myself, and am feeling very under prepared as she was kind of an unexpected addition to the family. Could someone tell me what vacs I should be taking her for and how often.
Not sure what shes had as I havent had her papers from my Aunt yet but shes about 1.5 - 2 years old
Thanks

Welcome to teh forum!

They need vaccinating against myxamatosis and VHD - annually, although in some high risk areas Myxi needs to be every 6 months. It costs roughly £30 for both I think!

Thanks guys need to find a vet now and take her along as my Aunt and uncle said she was vacc when they got her but they had her for nearly a year. Guess it wouldnt hurt for her to have a general chek over aswell plus I'm not sure if she has been spayed

If you want to find out if a vet knows his stuff about rabbits try asking how the myxi vaccine is administered. 10% should be put in the skin/ear but a lot of vets don't bother.

If you want to find out if a vet knows his stuff about rabbits try asking how the myxi vaccine is administered. 10% should be put in the skin/ear but a lot of vets don't bother.

My vet puts the whole vaccine in the skin for myxi!? and did the same today for the other ! Am curious ? My vet was first class with my previous house bunny with his g i stasis caused by ibs

My vet puts the whole vaccine in the skin for myxi!? and did the same today for the other ! Am curious ? My vet was first class with my previous house bunny with his g i stasis caused by ibs

As long as 10% of the vaccine goes intradermally its OK. Some Vets prefer to administer the intradermal part into the earbase as this is where the skin is thickest. Other Vets rely on their own injecting skills and just pull the needle back a bit to give the intradermal dose

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

90% of it should go under the skin as a normal vaccine and 10% should go into the skin.

Back