• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Alfie

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Alfie jumped out of his run earlier as soon as I lifted the lid but he landed face first against the fence (which is only about 6 inches away from the run) and just sort of dropped to the floor.

He sat there not moving for about a minute but has been acting normally since - he's been eating, drinking and hopping about. He isn't showing any visible signs of pain, no tooth grinding but I'm worrying about him nonetheless. OH says that looks absolutely fine but I'm wondering whether I should get him checked asap, seeing as he seems to be ok. :?

I'm going to take him to the vets on Monday for a check over, but am just wondering whether he needs to be sooner, given that he isn't acting out of sorts.

Signed neurotic bunny mummy x

I really wouldn't want to give any wrong advice but, if it reassures any, *if he were my rabbit* I would be keeping an eye on him as he seems okay and if there was anything out of the ordinary rush him to the vets. Otherwise I would be taking him on Monday as you're intending to do.

It is a bit worrying that he just lay there for a while but as he seems okay now he probably just floored himself.

Like I say, just my gut feeling but no expert. .. was it 2ft high barrier he cleared?

I've had a few cringes when they've jumped where they shouldn't. Artie once jumped on top of his dog crate (28" above the ground) onto 2" x 2" mesh and then walk about on it, how he managed to land up there safely is beyond me.

I hope he's okay and hopefully decides not to try it again!

I would probably think the same. I think he many have just stunned himself. Just keep close eye on him. I think you have to go with your gut instinct though x

It sounds as though he just stunned himself a bit. Just check he has not cracked any of his front teeth. If he has or if any have broken you'll need to keep a careful check to make sure they dont grow back maloccluded.

My little Nomad broke two Incisors by head-butting the floor :roll:
They grew back fine though :)

Thank you for the reassuring replies. :) I hardly slept all night and got up at just after 6am so I could check on him; I don't think he was best pleased because he was sound asleep. :lol:

I've had a little peek at his teeth and, from what I could see, they look ok but I'm going to get the vet to check for me tomorrow just for peace of mind. He wolfed his pellets this morning and I've seen him eating hay too, so I will just keep a close eye on him today.

was it 2ft high barrier he cleared?
It was the run that's under the hutch. I think it's 20 inches (bought it thinking it was 2ft, same as the hutch but that's another story :roll:) and he regularly jumps back into the hutch if I leave the door open, so I knew he could easily clear that height. I just didn't think he would do it that quickly. :shock: And, of course he didn't realise he was jumping straight into the fence. He'd only just been put away after a 3 hour run around the garden too, so he obviously decided that he hadn't been out for long enough. :lol: Needless to say, I'm not going to be opening the run up when he's down there any more.

i know how they can scare you. My french lop did that to me the other day, but luckily landed in my arms. He also jumped on top of the plastic dustbin that i keep hay in and slid off and ended up wedged between the bin and the shed wall. I was sweeping up the dead leaves and heard this weird noise and discovered him stuck. He looked really happy to be rescued, bless him. Pam

sending lots of hugs to Alfie :) hope he's ok today

i know how they can scare you. My french lop did that to me the other day, but luckily landed in my arms. He also jumped on top of the plastic dustbin that i keep hay in and slid off and ended up wedged between the bin and the shed wall. I was sweeping up the dead leaves and heard this weird noise and discovered him stuck. He looked really happy to be rescued, bless him. Pam

that reminds me of Gizmo our lop, she did that a few years ago, jumped on the window sill onto the bin, but slid off and got stuck:love: she loved to jump!!:lol:

Back