• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

settling in

Hi

has anyone any tips on how i can handle my rabbit every time i pick her up she runs scared and when i go to put her back into her cage with one hand under her hind legs and the other under her front legs she panics and ends up kicking out and struggling?

Last edited:
:wave::wave:

As rabbits in the wild live underground they can become distressed when being picked up. Most bunnies like to keep their 4 feet firmly on the ground.
I would suggest that you get down to her level and lay on the floor with her, maybe offer her a few healthy treats and get her to come to you in her own time. That way she will learn to trust you and associate you with nice things.

Sometimes I find it easier to put rabbits back in their cage backwards. When you carry her to her cage hold her tightly against you and then gently turn her round with one hand under her middle and the other round her back end where her tail is and back her in that way. I hope that makes sense :)

yep i too agree some bunnies dont like being handled... the vet nurse told me the other day that when you pick a bunny up to carry (i.e from hutch to run) its either flight or fright :( So its flight with your bunny :roll: Maybe put her in her carrier to get her in/out of her hutch?? That when when your putting her back into her hutch, you can open the carrier door and she can hop out. This might reasure her and she may learn to trust you more.

I also agree with Liz about getting down to her level, as i said they dont like to be handled as such. many bunnies prefer to be stroked with all feet on the floor or on your lap or whatever. Hope this helps a bit :) She will soon learn to trust you and gain her confidence xXX

Back