• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please ..poss EC :(

Sam&Yoda

Warren Scout
Hi all :wave:

My Yoda is now about 7 months old and spayed. Her litter training has always been excellent however ove the last few days she has become incontinent. She doesnt seem to realise until its too late then runs back into her cage like shes done something wrong.

Anway...i took Jar Jar to vets today for VHD and talked to the vet about Yoda. She said as i suspected that it could be EC. and told me to give Panacur rabbit for 9 days to all 3 buns.

Im a little annoyed with myself as i asked the vet months ago to have panacur as preventitve and they told me not to bother and i stupidly listened :(

She is not displaying any other symtons other than being a little quiet. Am i right in thinking i should give panacur for 28days to her?

Any advice would be appreciated? Also will she get over it or is her incontinece something that will make her special for the rest of her life?

THanks

Sam

Personally I'd look very carefully for signs of improvement within the 9 days (Panacur seems to work quite quickly), not necessarily to the incontinence but more to the bun's general health etc (you mentioned she was quiet). All buns will need 6 weeks' worth of Panacur if you see an improvement though, not 28 days.

I think 6 weeks is the recommended treatment for E.C. positive rabbits. You could get a blood test done if you want to know for sure. If it is E.C. then personally I would give all your rabbits a full treatment as it has probably spread to them too.

Noone can really say if the problem will fix itself or not but sometimes E.C. damage is permanent so you should prepare yourself if it doesn't fix itself after treatment.

To be honest doesn't sound like a great vet :?

Personally I'd look very carefully for signs of improvement within the 9 days (Panacur seems to work quite quickly), not necessarily to the incontinence but more to the bun's general health etc (you mentioned she was quiet). All buns will need 6 weeks' worth of Panacur if you see an improvement though, not 28 days.

So the other 2 which seem fine and Yoda will need 6weeks daily dosing..is this correct? sorry i just get very confused :oops:
TBH i put her quietness originally down to her getting upset at lack of control over herself but now im thinking otherwise :( I feel awful that this could of been prevented

I think 6 weeks is the recommended treatment for E.C. positive rabbits. You could get a blood test done if you want to know for sure. If it is E.C. then personally I would give all your rabbits a full treatment as it has probably spread to them too.

Noone can really say if the problem will fix itself or not but sometimes E.C. damage is permanent so you should prepare yourself if it doesn't fix itself after treatment.

To be honest doesn't sound like a great vet :?

No the vet wasnt great...the one i saw ages ago wasnt much good. Now we always see the rabbit savvy one whos ace. She mentioned today about a blood test however said that as some can just carry EC with no symtons the results would be inconclusive so best to treat straight away with Panacur. I defiantley thing ill buy some for paste and treat for full 6 weeks on all to be safe.

Can it do any harm if not EC causing it?

Yes, 6 weeks for all of them, if they've all been in contact with each other.

Don't beat yourself up over it if it does turn out to be EC. You don't have anything to feel guilty about.

No the vet wasnt great...the one i saw ages ago wasnt much good. Now we always see the rabbit savvy one whos ace. She mentioned today about a blood test however said that as some can just carry EC with no symtons the results would be inconclusive so best to treat straight away with Panacur. I defiantley thing ill buy some for paste and treat for full 6 weeks on all to be safe.

Can it do any harm if not EC causing it?

Panacur is obviously a drug with side effects, although it's relatively safe, but I wouldn't give it for the full 6 weeks personally, unless you see some sign of improvement. If you see any improvement, I would definitely continue with the course.

Thanks SarahP and Timb0h i really appreiate your help. I was trying to look up on old posts but got totally confused :shock:
Ill start the treatment today and fingers crossed she'll feel better soon...i just hope they all like the taste now :roll:

Did the vet mention a possible infection or anti-biotics? I've no knowledge to suggest it might be, but vets do seem to attribute a lot of symptoms with unknown causes to a possible infection and a coarse if general anti-biotics is quite commonly prescribed for things like this.

She didnt mention anything about anti biotics :( is it worth getting some to take with panacur just in case or maybe wait to see if any improvment over the 1st 9day couse of panacur?

She didnt mention anything about anti biotics :( is it worth getting some to take with panacur just in case or maybe wait to see if any improvment over the 1st 9day couse of panacur?

I don't know to be honest, I'm not a vet. Perhaps you could get a second opinion, perhaps just over the phone?

Back