• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed

caziann

New Kit
hi, we have had our rabbit two months and never had one before, so we seem to have so many questions, our bunny is a dwarf lop, bought a small hutch and feel it is time to get a bigger one, which hutches are the best to buy? also we worry is he warm enough in his hutch outside, we have a plastic cover over the hutch, which has a gap at the bottom of about3 inches away from the hutch for ventilation, is this ok? any help with these questions appreciated. :wave:

Hiya

Alot of people buy the happy hutches, I have a 6ft hutch with a 4ftx6ft run underneath and then a seperate 8ft by 6ft run on the grass, bunnies need alot of room for exercise not matter what size they are. RSPCA recommends 6ftx2ft hutches. You can buy special covers for these hutches from pets at home or online petstores, as long as you give your bun plenty of bedding they should be fine although if you are getting a bigger hutch and your bun is neutered you could get a snuggle companion from a rescue :D

Hi - I had 2 dwarf lop (now have 3!) and they live outside in a two storey hutch, they are quite happy coz they can run up and down the ramp, and they can go for "time out" upstairs or downstairs away from the others if they are in a funny mood!

Rabbits rarely get cold because they have permanent fur coats on! Unless you live in a really really cold climate. Mine lived outside all winter and were perfectly fine. They are actually struggling more now as the weather is hotting up and they boil in the midday heat - I need to put a towel or sarong across the front of the hutch each morning before I go to work to stop them getting heat stroke.

I also let mine out for controlled run/play each morning about 40 mins and 20 mins at night, and longer in the weekend. I only do it when I am not far away and/or can keep an eye on them throug the kitchen window - we have used chicken wire to block off any little escape routes to the neighbours property etc!

Back