• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone got a Happy Hutch?

For the price - okay. It's not as good as the old smaller hutches I used to use. I only use mine for summer, putting the house rabbits out for the day but if I used it over winter I'd have to make some modifications. The door of the 'bedroom' compartment doesn't fit brilliantly and could do with another piece of wood behind it to stop draughts. The edges of the mesh on the run part had some sharp edges so I've had to put a wooden strip inside to make it safe.

I won't be buying another because The Happy Hutch Co gave a poor response about rabbit welfare to an RU member's question.

Have you got one you are not happy with? Or are you asking because you are thinking of buying?

Anyone got an Happy Hutch and if so what do you think to the quality?

Em x

:lol: Just posted about mine breaking :shock: Had it a year and a half

When I got it I thought it was brilliant because I hadnt seen one that size, then when my Ryedale hutch arrived my happyhutch just looks really flimsy and not very well made compared to it x

They custom made 2 triple decker 6x3x2.5 hutches for our business less than a year ago. The wood is rotting (despite being treated), it has warped on the doors, the fixings have fallen off and the hinges have had to be replaced. We wont be using them again and now use Dawson Animal Housing, similar price, wood twice as thick, use of fixings appropriate for the weight and size of hutch and great personal customer service:D

I have previously used happyhutches for fosterers but I've also just bought a new Ryedale hutch - and like sillyrabbit says, the difference in quality is astonishing, and I don't think I'd buy another HH again now, especially after the snotty email that someone on here got sent from them!

I do think HH offer good value for money if you can't fork out the price of a ryedale/dawsons straight off but you do seem to get what you pay for and the others are better quality and will probably last much longer.

I won't be buying another because The Happy Hutch Co gave a poor response about rabbit welfare to an RU member's question.

really, what did they say?

I was happy with mine at first but wouldnt buy one again, it went mouldy far too fast and doesn't fit together too well, although it was super easy to assemble. in future if i need a new hutch i will save up and pay out ffor one of better quality.

They custom made 2 triple decker 6x3x2.5 hutches for our business less than a year ago. The wood is rotting (despite being treated), it has warped on the doors, the fixings have fallen off and the hinges have had to be replaced. We wont be using them again and now use Dawson Animal Housing, similar price, wood twice as thick, use of fixings appropriate for the weight and size of hutch and great personal customer service:D

Oh yeh thats the other thing, I had to replace the hinges already

The guy was polite enough to me and did try and find me the cheapest courier to send me the hutch, but he was rude to someone on here but I cant remember who it was now

I would personally rather spend £400 on a hutch that is going to last than buy one for £100 and then have to replace it every year, I wish I had known about Rydale before I ordered my happyhutch :(

:shock: i have had my happy hutch for 3 weeks now..it is ok, daisy likes it. A few minor problems but not too bad.. i guess i will keep u posted over the next year on it's condition though i just spent £100 on the damn thing :shock::roll:

thanks for all replies - has definitely made me think. Was just thinking about it for a potential bun in the adoption centre at P@H that I keep popping in to look at. She's been in there since last November! Am just researching at the moment to see if i can afford it. I know the ryedale ones are beautiful but they are really expensive but I suppose you get what you pay for... x

thanks for all replies - has definitely made me think. Was just thinking about it for a potential bun in the adoption centre at P@H that I keep popping in to look at. She's been in there since last November! Am just researching at the moment to see if i can afford it. I know the ryedale ones are beautiful but they are really expensive but I suppose you get what you pay for... x

They are but I promise they are very well made, I seriously do love mine :oops: When you look at how often cheaper hutches need replacing its well worth it. My happyhutch has only lasted just over a year really :? If my buns are to live to 8 or 9 that would be £800 to replace a cheap hutch with another cheap hutch each year :(

From the look of my Ryedale hutch I really dont think its going to start falling apart or anything :) x

It was my question with HH which got that response the bunny buddy has linked to

I bought the four ft one with the 4ft sq hutch, but it is only 18inches tall

I have to say I am not too impressed with mine, Ive had it about 4 weeks. water already pools on the roof, dispite it having the angle it does. I have had to modify the run, so it is tall enough, and I am also going to modify it further, so that Charlie had a dry play area during the day.

I have also coated it twice with thick coats of wood preserve( animal safe)

I have also bought another taller run for outside through amazon. 4ft by 4ft is just not enough space for any sized rabbit. You should see him running around out living room, he certainly couldn't do that in his current hutch!

On the up side, it is a means to an end. It got the rabbit away from my cousin, who really didn't bother with him, and I can give him a better quality of life. He is in my living room for atleast 5 hours a day, adn is almost litter trained after a week.

If this rabbit has been in a P@H cage for the past 8 months I would say (I will be shot for this!) get the HH hutch and the rabbit, and start saving for a shed! cos one rabbit is never enough! you will offer it a better quality of life than it is getting at P@H

Alternatively, ask around, freecycle, gumtree to see if anyone is getting rid of a hutch either free or cheap, save the money that you were going to use for the hutch and put it towards getting a bigger better one made in the near future.

Sorry for the long post, and my opinions, but 10 months in a p@h cage is no life for a bunny , and Im sure Emm-Jane will be able to offer it a better life with her even if it is in a temporary home, before she gets a big hutch! or Shed

Emm - Jane have a look as the sheds that other people have converted, maybe this could be an option, Ive looked in p@h at the big ones and they cost the same as a shed, but a shed has more room!

I've got a 4ft Happy Hutch. The quality isn't great, but I've seen much worse.

I actually prefer my cheapo ebay Rabbit Hutch Shop 6ft combos to my Rydale hutch because the ramp is far to steep on a Rydale. Also there is no edge to stop bedding and stuff falling out under the door on a Rydale.

I'm planning to buy some indoor hutches from Dawsons as winter quarters inside my garage when I've got the cash

Last edited:
Im planning on bringing the whole hh inside and giving Charlie (and friend, hopefully) run of the lean over winter, Ive heard HH don't do too well in winter conditions

Had mine six month and then took it to the tip.:censored:

It leaked, the wire was flimsy and when i moved it (to sweep behing) it was failing to pieces!

Had i seen that response on the link i certainly wouldn't have bought it from them.

I now hava a six x three x three with same size run attatched and it cost £120. Better value, better quality AND that is the smallest size the guy will make! He doesnt do it as a business, he only supplies rescues or rescue buns!

I've got a 4ft Happy Hutch. The quality isn't great, but I've seen much worse.

I actually prefer my cheapo ebay Rabbit Hutch Shop 6ft combos to my Rydale hutch because the ramp is far to steep on a Rydale. Also there is no edge to stop bedding and stuff falling out under the door on a Rydale.

I'm planning to buy some indoor hutches from Dawsons as winter quarters inside my garage when I've got the cash

I was thinking of buying from the rabbit hutch shop, Ive e-mailed them with lots of questions and they've always been very prompt with replies. So you think they are ok!

I was thinking of buying from the rabbit hutch shop, Ive e-mailed them with lots of questions and they've always been very prompt with replies. So you think they are ok!

They do have faults...

1) The wire is only stapled on with flimsy tacks, so needs securing with proper fencing staples

2) The roof doesn't have much of a slope, so water collects on top.

3) Needs staining straight away

4) Needs covering with a tarpaulin during wet weather (but TBH my Rydale does as well)

5) The ramp needs securing to the hutch (I've done mine with hinges)

6) I covered the floor with lino before building the hutches (much easier than putting it on afterwards)

I'd definitely recommend them if you need a cheap hutch :thumb:

I have a 6' X 2' X 2' HH combo, and am pleased enough with it for the money. Biggest complaints were that when it arrived, I couldn't assemble it as it came with NO screws or fittings, and the hatch door between the hutch and the run obviouisly wasn't the one that was actually cut from it, as it doesn't fit! The partition between the sleeping area and main cage is also extremely flimsy and needs modifying. The run could be higher too.....I keep small/medium buns in it as large buns can't periscope in the run!

Not too bad all in all for the money, though.....if I remember correctly, I think I paid £118 for it.

I guess it depends what you want it for. I have a pair in a 6ft HH combo and a single bun (soon to be bonded hopefully) in a 6ft HH hutch which are both in the garage all year (hutches not rabbits as they also have runs on the grass/patio). These have lasted fine and I'm sure will last for a good while yet but not sure about if they were outside though. From my point of veiw they have definately been worth their money, especially as the combo was second hand:lol:.

Back