• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering problem - anyone seen this?

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
Ollie has just had his one week check up after being neutered. Seems he is really swollen round the area. He's already on antibiotics for conjunctivitis so probably not an infection. Vet thinks it might be just inflamation and prescribed metacam. Ollie is over 7 years old so I hope it is all not too much for him. He is bouncing around as usual and eating his head off with usual rabbit fortitude. Just to make things worse my rabbit vet has left the country on a family emergency. AAgh.. :cry:
Anyone else had this kind of reaction to castration?

Thanks - I hope that is all it is. It's just that Frodo was done at the same time and his bits are not at all swollen a week later. Hopefully it is not a problem but can't help worrying

It's quite normal, personally (not that I'm a vet or anything) I would expect Frodo to have a higher metabolism and so be healing faster; as with humans there are "norms" but there are also people/animals who go either faster or slower than the "norm" - which is also normal! :lol:

Monty had this problem after he was neutered. We took him back for his post op check up and then the vet spotted it. She gave him some anti biotics and we had to go back 10 days/2 weeks later and it had gone down.
As with your bun, Monty didn;t seem at all bothered and was racing around as usual.
HOpe your bun is better soon
x

Back