• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for attching run to hutch

Jelly

New Kit
I have recently built a run for my buns which is similar to this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-ft-Fully-Folding-Rabbit-poultry-Run-FREE-shelter-018J_W0QQitemZ320284156630QQihZ011QQcategoryZ63513QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and am trying to figure out the best way to attach it to their hutch which is a bit like this
http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=71

I don't want to permanently fix it as I'd like to be able to also move the run around the grass, especially in the summer.
I was thinking of making a little doorway(like a catflap) in the front of the ground floor door of hutch and the same in the run and matching them up and somehow joining the gaps???!!
It would be really useful is anyone has done something similar and could post advice and/or photos. In the meantime I'm going to get photobucket set up...
Thank you :D

ok, pictures of the real things...
aug08065.jpg
[/IMG]
P220608_1458.jpg
[/IMG]

I've done something a bit similar in that I changed a two-tier hutch into a one-tier as one of the buns wasn't a fan of the ramp situation.

Will think about this a bit, but in the meantime, if you end up going down the catflap route, you can get connecting tunnels for many catflaps which should solve the problem you mention,

http://www.petdoorsonline.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Small_Complete_Flaps_16.html#aREL715EFS

I guess the problem with the catflap approach is that you have to cut holes in the mesh?

Thanks LaraJay. The dimensions are not quite the same unfortunately, the hutch lower level is slightly shorter in height but longer in length (than the short end of run)
I'm happy to cut the mesh, was thinking about maybe making two mini doors about a foot square in each so like a cat flap but home made. The thing I can't work out is how to connect them together so that they can also be seperated if needed.
Alternativley I could use catflaps and the tunnels you mentioned . Hmmm.

how about ataching the run to the back of the hutch, with a cat flap or something? xox

EDIT: i thought the back was wooden, what a clown i am.

Thanks LaraJay. The dimensions are not quite the same unfortunately, the hutch lower level is slightly shorter in height but longer in length (than the short end of run)
I'm happy to cut the mesh, was thinking about maybe making two mini doors about a foot square in each so like a cat flap but home made. The thing I can't work out is how to connect them together so that they can also be seperated if needed.
Alternativley I could use catflaps and the tunnels you mentioned . Hmmm.

Things are never easy huh :). The homemade option may well be the best, but I can't resist trying to find a needlessly complicated solution :)

So if one of the doors to the lower level is open would it in theory swing under the roof of the run?

If so, and a way can be found for half of a short side of the run to be "swung open" when you want, then it'd be dead easy to pop the two together. Open this half and one door on the lower hutch (clip it to the inside of the run with a dog clip) and there you go.

It seems from the photo that each short side of the run is made from two square panels joined by brackets. Thinking that at one short end you could replace the central brackets by hinges so half of the short side can swing open. You'd need a clip or something to keep it closed when you want to use it on its own. Oh and a batten or two on the interior of the run to maintain the strength of the structure.

Told you it was needlessly complicated :)

My OH attached my run and hutch with strong hook and eyes so the buns can't move it but I can easily take it off to clean.

Thanks LaraJay and Amy. Hook and eye idea is a good one. And the door of hutch lower level does fit into run so that would make things much easier. Not sure why I didn't think of it :?
LaraJay I like your thinking, logical, problem-solving, and needlessly complicated :lol: No, seriously, very helpful. Thanks.

Back