• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nutered on Monday...

babyboysmommy

Young Bun
Rabbit is going to be nutered on monday. He lives outside.

What can I expect? Are there anythings I need to do in preperation of him coming home from the vets? We have nothing to keep him in if he needs to stay inside, any ideas?

Many thanks, Anna

They normally say to keep them indoors for a few nights, at least 1 night anyway, as rabbits cannot regulate their own temperatures after the anasethic (spl). Also... what does he bed on?? its maybe a though to give him a blanket/towels or even vet bed if you have any so its soft for him and doesnt irritate his stitches etc :)

Hope this helps a little :) I know you said you dont have anywhere to keep him indoors but this is really advisable... does any1 you know have a spare rabbit cage that they can borrow you? or maybe someone near you on here might have 1 :) its worth an ask :) where are you from?? i have a spare indoor cage but if you live miles away obviously its no good :lol:

They normally say to keep them indoors for a few nights, at least 1 night anyway, as rabbits cannot regulate their own temperatures after the anasethic (spl). Also... what does he bed on?? its maybe a though to give him a blanket/towels or even vet bed if you have any so its soft for him and doesnt irritate his stitches etc :)

Hope this helps a little :) I know you said you dont have anywhere to keep him indoors but this is really advisable... does any1 you know have a spare rabbit cage that they can borrow you? or maybe someone near you on here might have 1 :) its worth an ask :) where are you from?? i have a spare indoor cage but if you live miles away obviously its no good :lol:

I live in Bournemouth & don't know anyone who would have something suitable. If he needs to be inside I'll just have to come up with something as I don't want his health to suffer.

you could buy a dog crate thats what i did.... for dora.... i got mine for 15 pound on ebay. put in fresh clean towels and newspaper and shredded paper bedding the long strand stuff rather than the bitty ones... you must keep an eye on her indoors for first24 hours..it is essential i slept on sofa with my bun... and around 3am (woke every hour to check on her) she went very cold i had to hold her wrapped in a blanket till she warmed up....if bun has a partner they should go to vets together to keep company else you may loose bond also buns tend to recover better if they are not seperated from a freind. it is important they get eating quickly too so try her with leaves such a s dandilions and a water bowl as nthis may be easier...give her fresh herbs too mine would eat only corriander and dandilions for first 24hours..then picked up around 48hours. good luck x maybe someone local to you on here could lend yo ua dog crate?

We are going to buy him an extension to his run this weekend. As it's just for a few days we will put it in the livingroom so Rabbit has somewhere he can recover :) I'll put his litter tray, toys, food etc in there was well as provide a soft bed & somewhere to hide if he wants to. Rather glad we have a large livingroom!

We are going to buy him an extension to his run this weekend. As it's just for a few days we will put it in the livingroom so Rabbit has somewhere he can recover :) I'll put his litter tray, toys, food etc in there was well as provide a soft bed & somewhere to hide if he wants to. Rather glad we have a large livingroom!

sounds a good idea...is it a male/female being neutered? boys tend to bounce back a lot quicker than girls who should have around 5-10 days cage rest..

:wave: I had my boys done 2 weeks ago and theyv'e been fine, i kept them quiet for a couple of days but after that they were back to their usual mad selves, I must say my vet didnt say to keep them indoors even though i asked if i needed to take any special care of them, maybe because there is 2 they would keep each other warm, I dont know, anyway hope all goes well.

:wave: I had my boys done 2 weeks ago and theyv'e been fine, i kept them quiet for a couple of days but after that they were back to their usual mad selves, I must say my vet didnt say to keep them indoors even though i asked if i needed to take any special care of them, maybe because there is 2 they would keep each other warm, I dont know, anyway hope all goes well.

I wasn't given any advice by the vet when I saw him for Rabbits jab on Tuesday but hopefully they will tell me more on Monday. It will be a good excuse to have him inside for a day or two :D

Rabbit was nutered this morning & I had him micro chiped at the same time. He is back home, has had a little hay to eat & is now laying down looking very sleepie.

We put one of his fennel fold runs in the living room so he can spend a few days indoors whilst he recovers.

It's good to have him back home :)

Glad hes home and well :) He'll be his normal self in no time. Sending lots of get well vibes xxx

Back