• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

One Eyed Rabbits

holidayhutch

Warren Veteran
Does anyone have a one eyed rabbit, do they cope o.k? Are there any specific problems that have arisen as a result?

:wave: we had a blind buck who got on absolutely fine...he was an indoor bun and used to binky around the room:lol:
buns are completely fine without their eyesight so long as you keep everything in the same place...ie littertrays, water ,food etc.
pm me if you want any help;)
kellie

Thanks Kellie, It's not our bun, it's one of our boarders, it may have to lose it's eye in the next few days if things dont improve. We've had blind buns stay before with no probs, just wondered how a single eyed bun goes on - I am assuming you try to approach from the good eye side to avoid startling it etc same as you do with a deaf bun so he can see you even if he cant hear you.

:wave: i think talking to them as you approach and tapping on something nearby so they know you are coming will also help;)
i watched a programme recently that said buns cant see directly in front of them and that they see 70 degrees up:shock::lol:

Hi, our Jess is one eyed and seems to cope just as well as the others. She was a bit more nervy on her own, but now she is with Snowey and Jessica, she is quite a calm bunny. The only thing I've noticed is she scans sometimes, but that maybe because she looks to be developing a cataract in the single eye.

Lexie lost one eye to a retrobulbar abcess and she copes fine, we just have to be careful about not approaching her on her blind side as she panics if she dosn't see us coming.

The other thing it has affected is her ability to judge distances, she occasionally runs into me when she runs towards me because she dosn't realise I am so close to her to start with.

Huppie is bliind in one eye and is fine. She is extremely curious and loves it when things are moved about - I have only seen her knock things accidentally twice. She is a bit creeped out if you approach her from her blind side - but not as much as if she is approached from above :lol:

Honestly, it shouldn't be a problem!

Emma

Back