• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post spay question. Advice needed.

Plio77

Young Bun
Hi Everyone:wave:

My Belle was spayed yesterday and seems to be doing ok so far. Eating even though it is small amounts and drinking a little. Am hoping this will improve tomorrow. Is going to the toilet in small amount too.

My problem is that the vet(1st time i used this one but seems quite good) has given me a cone to put around her neck to stop her pulling out her stiches but although yesterday she didnt mind cos she was groggy, today there is no way she is having this thing. I have left her without it all day because i really want her to eat and not be stressed but am scared she will have a pull at the stiches when im not there. My other little girlie bibble pulled hers out last year and got an infection but is fine now thank goodness. The vet at that time did not recommend cones. Belle is not a biter so i am hoping i can leave her without it but am still scared. I even cut a bit of the cone away to make it easier for her to eat and sleep etc but she is having none of it.
What have other people done to stop stiches being pulled out?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a mill,liz:):)

Cones are quite dangerous as it will stop the bun from eating her cecotrophes.

If she pulls her stitches she'll either need a vet visit, or be too well healed to go to a vets.

Personally i would just keep a very close eye that she's not biting them as usually putting a collar on aggitates and annoys the animal more.I'd only really put it on if she looks like she is going to pull them out.I didn't use a collar on mines and granted one of them only had one stitch left :oops::shock:but everything was ok no infection or anything and that's me keeping an eye.They are house rabbits.It's kind of difficult for them to eat or drink with they things on i think.

Hiya. Hmmmm I've had a few does speyed and none of them have had cones.
They've all been fine and we checked each a couple of times a day and no bun had chewed. Maybe take it off and just keep a close eye on her? It'll do her no good being stressed out by it.

Two of my bunnies were spayed recently, neither had cones. The stitches aren't on the surface anyway are they, I thought they were kind of under the skin. I kept my two inside for a few days and there was no picking or anything - they should be absolutely fine without the cones. The main thing is to keep them warm and make sure they are eating and pooing.

Thank you all:) Yeah the more i sit and look at her here beside me i cant make her wear that thing. I never even thought of the cecotrophes:oops:. The best thing for her is not to be stressed and as you say i will keep a close eye.
Here's hoping there's lots of late night movies on:D
Thanks again.

The stitches should have been internally stitched to begin w/ so it's harder for her to pull it.

Now, one of my bridge bunny goofball had a similar problem after she leg was removed. What I done was I put a big patch of non-adherent medical pad on the wound, then I use green tape (painter non-stick type) to cover all the corners. That way, she can't pull it in a day.

I then change it daily. I keep doing it until the wound heals, it works very nicely

Had a look this morning and she did'nt pull the stiches overnight but the stiches are definately outside with some threads left sticking out and would be easy to pull alright. I will give that method a go today and change it every day thereafter. Plenty of poos etc for me this morning :D so i am happy that that part is going well:lol:
Thanks everyone for advice, i am very grateful:wave:

Back