• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some advice please

I have a beautiful rabbit named Charlotte. Sadly she lost her mate last year and we didn't get another one. She lives freely in a 1 acre garden with her chickens and goes to bed at night. She escaped twice a couple of months ago and fell pregnant to 3 rabbits and I have now seen another 5 little ones. The problem is is that the first litter are very very wild and are terrified of humans. Is it cruel to let the eldest 3 which I have never caught into the wild? I cannot bear them living in hutches and I have begun to catch the smaller ones which hopefully I can tame and keep. The mother has be spayed now. I can't have 9 rabbits in the garden!
Please help!

You could catch the wilder buns in humane traps, neuter them, and let them back into the garden (make sure it's secure first though!).

Are you in the U.K.? If so, your local Cats Protection League or wildlife rescue group may be able to lend you a humane trap.

Good luck

Amy

Rabbit saga continues

I have caught the larger 3 whom I guessing are around 12 weeks. Split them up in their sexes. Our garden is only an acre for 9 rabbits in total. They are seriously wild in their nature, 1 gnawed a whole in the shed wood to get out!

I don't think it would be fair for these terrified rabbits to go to a home to be hutched for the rest of their life. Does anyone know how these rabbits may survive in the wild? Where the best place is to free them. I know their life spam will be shortened but want to you think they would prefer?

Thank you for all your help :wave:;)

What colour are they? Anything other that normal wild rabbit is going to really stand out. Also they are unlikely to mix in with an existing wild population as rabbits are very territorial. Pet rabbits are also not as fast as wild rabbits - they are built a lot different.The maximum live expectancy of a wild rabbit is 18months and that a rabbit that's been through natural selection to be the best at beating predators. A pet rabbit just doesn't compete very well.

My suggestion would be to neuter them all and leave them semi-wild in your garden. If you supliment their diet with hay then the size of land you have should be able to support them fine - as long as they are neutered and not producing more. You can get a hay bale for £5-10 that will feed them for several weeks. Put it somewhere that has cover so it doesn't get wet and let them browse.

Tamsin

The rabbits are more white unfortunately than their fathers colour of brown. I understand what you're saying about standing out as they are obvious. I'll get some hay and fingers crossed our garden won't get completely pooped on the lawn! I have twins of 3 so I do worry about them playing in too much rabbit poo.:)

Back