• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cylap - side effects

MKK

New Kit
Hi - We had our kids two 16 week old Papillon Giant rabbits innoculated with Cylap 3 weeks ago and hit a problem within 36 hours.
One of them lost a patch of fur around the injection sight the size of a £2 coin. This was treated with an antibiotic injection & cream. The exposed area scabbed over but kept cracking, on Friday an underlying muscle poked through the crack and the vet had to cut away the skin, underlying fat & dead tissue in the effected area.

We are now £450 poorer with a 4 inch wound, numerous stiches while still in the dark as to whether the innoculation has been taken up or cut out - with a unhappy rabbit that has to be kept seperated from its mate. Not a happy household to be sure!

Having read Cylap's official web site they make mention of the fur lose as a possible side effect but nothing of the additional "dead tissue" issues we experienced (at least not in relation to the rabbits -humans yes). Has anyone else had this problem and is the rabbit now innoculated or not and what do we do about the boosters?

Any help you can shed would be greatly recieved.

MKK

Last edited:
Welcome to RU, what a shame to join in such awful circumstances :( That must have been very traumatic, poor bun and poor pocket :shock:

I have no advice on the matter but there are so many very experienced members I'm sure that if it's been heard of, someone on here will know about it :)

I wish you the best of luck and sending vibes to bunny for speedy recovery :)

poor things. Just one had a reaction right? I havnt had any probs with my papallion. Sorry I cant help :( Do you have any photos. I do love Giant Papallions :love:

Your Vet needs to report the incident to the Vaccine manufacturer. I would advise that along with the official report form your Vet submits the clinical notes relating to the surgery your Rabbit subsequently required.

For future reference there is another VHD Vaccine available called Lapinject

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/CEVA_Animal_Health_Ltd/Lapinject_VHD/-42507.html

Because of the oil base to BOTH Cylap and Lapinject it is very important that they are administered correctly, ie fully subcutaneously. None should go intradermally or IM. It is also advisable to use a new needle to administer the vaccine from the one used to draw up the dose. Massaging the site of vaccination for a couple of minutes after administering it helps disperse the vaccine.

Sorry your poor Bun had such a nasty reaction :cry:

Thanks for all your advice - will post a picture of both bunnys as soon as I can figure out how!!!

Thanks
MKK

Back