• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly frail bun - any advice please?

Coriolanus

New Kit
Hi, this is my first post, so I hope I do it right!

I have an elderly bun, Roxy who has developed stiff, weak limbs and she has recently pretty much lost the use of one of her front paws after a stroke like episode, so she moves around tripod style and is pretty unsteady. She has had treatment for EC just in case, but I'm inclined to think it's just old age and wear and tear. She has also suffered from various dental problems for a number of years and has very frequent bouts of infection which usually clear up eventually with baytril and metacam. She has also become very skinny.

About 3 months ago, I was told by my vet that she is on 'borrowed time', but she still plods on! I have actually slept on the settee with her in the lounge a couple of times not expecting her to last the night but she has :D

I have started syringe feeding Roxy a couple of times a day (Science Recovery or baby food) in an attempt to keep her strength up and think I may have made a rod for my own back on the basis that she absolutely loves it and would much prefer it to her normal food! She does eat of her own accord but is sooo slow, I think she would have to chew all day to get the same amount of nutrition. She is curently having 2 baytril injections per day, metacam and I also give her bio lapis.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post, I just wondered if anyone had any advice re nursing an ageing bun and wondered if I am doing the right thing re the syringe feeding ie should I leave her to it and then when she has had enough, she will stop eating? I just want to do what is best for her.

Thanks
C
x

rilly if your having to sireng feed her if shes not eating it does not sound like she is having a very good time :(

Sounds like you're doing all you can hon, and doing a fab job at it :)

Sorry I don't have any advice, but I'm sure someone will be able to give you some advice/help soon x

She is eating, but very very slowly and I was trying to add some bulk to her diet. Perhaps not the right move, but she does seem stronger than she was a couple of weeks ago.

C
x

Keep going. She's obviously fighting.

Talk to the vets and some more experienced people on here.

When the day comes, we're here for you honey :)

Xxxxxx

I know she is at least 7 but not really sure as she was from the RSPCA and they didn't know her history as she had been dumped in a box with her sister in the park.

C
x

If she accepts the syringe feeding without trying to fight you, then carry on. :D

She will make it clear to you when she doesn't want to carry on.

I nursed a urine incontinent elderbun for about 6 months (although she was poorly on and off for over a year). She became like a different bun when she was ready to go...she stopped eating properly and wouldn't interact with us or her bonded partner any more, so we had the vet come to our house to put her to sleep :cry:

Bizarre thing is she absolutely loves the syringe feeding and gets so excited when she sees it coming towards her:D Must admit when I have tried it in the past (after a GA for eg) they have hated it.

'Abbymarysmokey' sorry to hear you lost your old bun :(

C
x

Bizarre thing is she absolutely loves the syringe feeding and gets so excited when she sees it coming towards her:D Must admit when I have tried it in the past (after a GA for eg) they have hated it.

Would she lap it from a bowl to save you the trouble of feeding her from a syringe?

'Abbymarysmokey' sorry to hear you lost your old bun :(

Thanks...it's been just over a year now (6 July 2007), and thinking about her still makes me sad :cry: We still have her partner though, and he has a new wife adopted from Chloe at Fat Fluffs

BTW...Love your username...I did that Shakespeare play for A Level :D

I have many elderly and frail bunnies, have you tried glucosomine sprinkled on their veggies?, it really helps with the stiffness in their joints, if you buy any make sure it the pure stuff and not the weakened stuff you can buy in health food shops, if you want the link I'll send it to you, you could also try giving your bunny and spoonful of dried porridge oats, they love it and it's full of natural nourishment.

Have you tried grating veggies? or softening the pellets?

Hope this helps

I've tried the 'lapping from a bowl' idea, she will do it but then needs a complete wash as she gets it everywhere :D

Glad you like my name, its a variation on my real name (Corinne Elaine), Dad used to call me it when I was little. Not sure if I have spelt it correctly though!

Snowy, thanks for your advice, the link would be useful, I will give it a go :D I have tried the porridge but without success, she didn't like it, but do already grate her veg. I will try softening her pellets, I imagine its just like the Science Recovery only much, much cheaper!

C
x

Snowy, thanks for your advice, the link would be useful, I will give it a go :D I have tried the porridge but without success, she didn't like it, but do already grate her veg. I will try softening her pellets, I imagine its just like the Science Recovery only much, much cheaper!

C
x

Yes, just put the pellets in a dish and cover them with warm water, I then loosen them in the dish and I find the bunnies can eat them better like that, all my bunnies love their dried oats, I don;t wet them, just give them dry

The link for the glucosomine is
http://www.cures.uk.com/
The guy is really helpful and the pot lasts for ages

Good luck

Back