• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny sheds in summer.

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
How do you keep your bunny sheds cool in the summer? We have a shed that we're thinking of converting for the buns who currently live indoors but the garden's even hotter than it is in here.

What do you do?

At the rescue we use parasols to provide shade, fling the doors open and cover the windows with material for shade.

I have the doors open all day and they have attached runs that are shaded so they can go in there if they are too hot in the shed.

Our shed is 40 degrees right now!!! But I bet if he could he'd still go in it - daft rabbit. :lol: He's sooo nosey! I do plan on converting it while adding a 20 ft x 6 ft run on the siade connected with a cat flap but I may have to lock it so he can't go in it during the day cos he'd frazzle! So watching this thread with interest.

Mine have a secure 3x6 run to the side of the playhouse, accessed by a cat-flap. At the front, they have access to a larger run, again with cat-flap and a metal mesh covered window, so they get a pretty good draft through.

The run has a solid cover at the side too, so it stays cool.

I'd like to know that as well. My dad is supposed to build some new rabbit cages in the shed and there's no room for a run outside (and either way we'd have to make several... and there's definitely no room for that) :roll:
Recently with only two rabbits living in there in an ordinary indoor cage it hasn't been much of a problem to just carry it outside, and opening the window but the window too is at the sunny side so I don't know if it helps much:roll: If I get power in there I might install a fan, one that blows on all the cages (turning back and forth) but would the wind it causes be harmfull to them? (Considering they're not supposed to stand in "drafts")
Wish I could take all the rabbits out at the same time but that means I'd have to make the runs smaller, now a days they've been taking turns on going out.

I have mesh inner doors that keep the shed safe from predators or escapees so that the main doors can be left wide open.
I've also changed all the windows to openers and covered the opening with mesh, and their runs that are attached have solid cover at one end so that it stays cooler.
My frenchie doesn't like the heat at all though, and yesterday I ran an extension lead down the garden so she could have a fan on her all day.
She didn't move from that cool spot for hours!!

In all of our wendy houses and sheds I have replaced the windows with mesh (the perspex has been saved and made into weather screens for when it's raining and/or cold). We have made mesh inner doors that lock so as mentioned above, they can be left wide open. The attached runs have hard tops with roofing felt so they are dry when it rains but also provide shade in the sun. I also use wet towels over the runs to make the air moist when it's really hot. We have insulation too so that keeps them cool in summer and warm in winter. I do know some people that have power to the sheds and who have put in small fans to keep the air moving. I don't think I will be going this far as the fuel prices are set to rocket and I don't think it would make so much difference to warrant the cash spent. :D

Back