• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I really need advice regarding Verity.

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
I'm hoping someone may be able to shed a little light on this and perhaps give me a little advice.

33xdl4z.jpg

Though extremely cute; little Verity isn't as angelic as she looks infact she's quite the opposite. It's clear that she loves Benjamin to bits, they always lay beside eachother, share food and enjoy being groomed by one another. But it seems that Verity is not very fond of me, or anyone/thing infact.

Whenever my hand or something other than Benjamin goes near her, she grunts, lunges with her claws and bites you; hard. She appears to be a fairly relaxed rabbit (though she has never 'flopped'), who lies down stretched out regularly and binkies frequently though if you stand up, she bolts. If you walk near her she runs, runs and runs.

When she has free range of the garden, getting her back in the carrier is a nightmare and I end up chasing her around the garden for 20 minutes which I know stresses her out but it's the only way to blooming catch her!

But, she doesn't mind being picked up (though not from above, which is normal) and is happy to be groomed and checked etc.

She can be really vicious towards me. Even with the slightest thing she will grunt and lunge. I just don't understand; I've never teased or been mean to her in any way, I never even shout. She gets everything she needs and wants - Chews, toys, blankets, towels, the best food and plenty of love.

Jill - Did you ever experience anything like this from her? Perhaps she was mistreated previously. Or maybe she simply doesn't like me.

Is there anything I can do to try and tame her a little, or should I just leave her be. She has such a vast difference in character from Ben as he's very confident, loving and chilled out.

No she was timid but never bit.
Some bunnies never tame right down and stay a bit independent and she may be one of those.
Re catching her...when you let them out don't put out food or veg..wait til they go back in..then they will associate the carrier/going in with treats/food..
and try not to chase her round as it will stress her and she will then think you want to chase her..not good for a prey animal..again put the carrier down with some veg in..and sit quietly by it..move it gently near her and wait til she goes in..gradually she will hop in eagerly to get her veg/pellets and won't think of you as some big animal who chases her then locks her up.
You will need patience as it won't happen overnight but you must persist with advice above

Kermit grunts at me occassionally if i annoy him....i just grunt back at him.
He did look at me funny the first time i done it!!

Hope your wee one calms down :)

Food bribes are always the way to go when getting buns to do what you want. Maybe practise getting Verity in the cat carrier with food when free ranging inside. Charlie and Mocha have a flip top container that I rattle that makes them come running, handy when Mocha decided out the gate is where she wanted to go! :shock: :lol:

How is she being hand fed? Does she still lunge at you then?

Back