• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding an unspeyed bun??

mia'n'patch

Alpha Buck
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is safe/a good idea to bond an unspeyed doe with a neutered male? The reason I ask is because I would like to find Patch a man friend, but i'm reluctant to have her speyed at the moment as she had a big op and 4 months of convalescence earlier this year. She will be speyed in the future, but was just curious and to whether getting her a friend of her own kind now was a good idea or not?!

Thanks
Mia.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is safe/a good idea to bond an unspeyed doe with a neutered male? The reason I ask is because I would like to find Patch a man friend, but i'm reluctant to have her speyed at the moment as she had a big op and 4 months of convalescence earlier this year. She will be speyed in the future, but was just curious and to whether getting her a friend of her own kind now was a good idea or not?!

Thanks
Mia.

it will be harder but it can be done however if they bond....please please please take them in together for the op and let them recover together else you will risk losing the bond completly.

Yes i had Marmite and Roger and Marmite wasn't spayed when they were bonded, but afer she was spayed i took Roger with her (he was a rescue so he was already done) and they recovered together but they're now with my aunt because she has a bunny proof garden that's half an acre so i thought they'd enjoy that more, and they have 6 friends to play with now!!

I am happy to bond does before they are speyed as I think having a partner helps them to recover faster. A few will be too feisty pre spey but finding the right buck should do the trick. Just wait until the bond is solid before having her done afterwards so the day apart doesn't pose a risk to the bond or set the buck off mounting her again. I would take the buck along to the vets when you collect her so he can snuggle her on the way home.

Up until this year we've always had unspayed does with neutered boys and never had a problem. It was only after we lost Bertha to uterine cancer (didn't know how common it was) that we started to spay them. We still have 3 unspayed girls with castrated boys as we're working through them month by month.

Thank you all for your info, it's much appreciated.
I am hoping to be able to Rescue a boy bun as company for Patch, and am presuming that He will have already been done.

The majority of rabbits from rescues are already neutered. Some will help with the bonding of them. It is always worth asking and goig for one that bonds as this can be very stressful for you. It is worth the effort of having to take your bun to them and colelcting them a few days later.

There's a lady near me that runs a rabbit hotel. She also takes in rescue bunnies and have asked her to keep me in mind if she gets anything that she thinks might go with Patch, she had her while we went on holiday so she has a rough idea of how Patch is. She will aslo take on the bonding for you if you need help. (Which i will do!) I am also local to RSPCA Blackerry Farm.

Back