• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bunny friend for Alfie - a few questions

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Alfie is 11 weeks and will be neutered as soon as he's old enough - the vet says from about 4 mths. He's an outdoor bun and gets a fair bit of attention but I think he deserves a bunny friend to keep him company 24/7. This site has opened my eyes to the number of rescue buns out there, so I would like his lady friend to come from a rescue.

I have a few questions that hopefully I can get some help with. (Apologies if these are asked all the time; I've tried searching but end up with too many results to sort through :shock:)

How long should I wait after his op?

Is it best to get a youngish lady bun (old enough to have been spayed though obviously) or is age not a problem?

Will it change his relationship with me? Alfie is a very friendly, sociable bunny & my husband says that he might not want to know us as much if we get him a friend.

My husband is also worried that, with a rescue bun, you don't know their history or their character. I think that you probably get a better idea of their personality, as the rescue will have experience of handling them day to day but would like opinions from people 'in the know' to convince dh.

Thanks in advance. :love:

Nice to hear that Alfie is going to be getting a bunny friend.

If the female is already neutered by the rescue, then I would just leave it until a week or so after Alfie's op to give him time to heal.

I wouldn't say age is a major issue, but would probably stick to a youngish bun (1-2 years old) just so they have the best chance of having many years of happiness together.

As for your relationship with Alfie, I can't say for sure if that will change, but I do feel he will be much happier with another bunny for company.

As to the question of knowing the history of rescue buns, it's important to consider that you don't know that much about pet shop buns either, for example you could end purchasing a baby with a genetic history of teeth problems etc.

Hope that helps.
Roo.

:wave: hi,, i agree ..with a pet shop you still dont know the rabbits history and with a rescue the wonderful people there will be able to tell you which bun will be best suited to your bun,as they take note of how buns are with them.i think ,yes, maybe another young rabbit.probably better to be a girl and already spayed so you can bond them straight away .the rescue can help you with that as it can be very daunting diong it yourself:shock:
our buns are housebuns and when we have got someone , before they have bonded ,then we bond them to one of our existing buns ,they do change abit of their personality but overall they still come to us for attention:lol:

Back