• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RABBIT RUNS advice needed

LESNPAM

New Kit
hi all
can anyone help i want to build an 8 foot x 6 foot x 5 feet tall rabbit run which will also house 2 rabbit hutches i plan to make this with a timber frame but should i use somethig stronger than chickenwire to cover it
best regards
les

Hello Les

That's a definite yes. You need to use weld mesh as each joint in welded and if someone/thing bites through a bit it won't unravel like chicken wire.

I know of bunnies (and foxes) that have had no trouble in biting through chicken wire.

You can get large rolls of the stuff on ebay at a good price. Alternatively it's available from Screwfix or Wickes but for the size of run you are hoping to make, that might work out fairly pricey as the rolls they sell come in 6m lengths.

Yes I would defiantely use something stronger than chicken wire. One of my runs has chicken wire and it is very flimsey (I dont often use the run at the moment as Im goign to put some stronger wire on). My new hutch/combo ive just got has fox proof wire on it and it is so much stronger.

Hi
I used weld mesh on our run and managed to get a good deal with it on Ebay. Think I had something like 30metres for £36 which included delivery. If you're interested, PM me and I will try to find the link for you.

Will 8x6 be big enough for a run though? Assuming your hutches are at least 4x2 which will use up 16sq ft of floor space that leaves only 32sqft for the run.

Hi we're currently building a 9 x 6ft run for our pair and have used galvanised mesh. It's a good idea to put it on the inside of the frame to prevent nibbling too. Then you can always put a second layer on the ouside if you get worried about security. Make sure you use strong U-shaped staples to nail it in place, not a staple gun as a fox can rip the little staples out. good luck!

Will 8x6 be big enough for a run though? Assuming your hutches are at least 4x2 which will use up 16sq ft of floor space that leaves only 32sqft for the run.

If you had 8x6 with a 6x2 hutch inside against the edge that leaves you with 6x6 which is the recommended size for a rabbit run (and is actually 36 sq foot)

Sounds big enough to me :)

Hi we're currently building a 9 x 6ft run for our pair and have used galvanised mesh. It's a good idea to put it on the inside of the frame to prevent nibbling too. Then you can always put a second layer on the ouside if you get worried about security. Make sure you use strong U-shaped staples to nail it in place, not a staple gun as a fox can rip the little staples out. good luck!

My staple gun fires 35mm staples which are longer than the ones you do by hand :)

Back